Question about Bachmann China ND5 disassembly

Started by tonttu, February 14, 2014, 10:24:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonttu

Hello,

I'm new to this board and Bachmann trains in general, and I started this winter collecting Bachmann China trains.

I recently got the ND5 prototype model CD01007, which is causing some headache in the DCC installation, as I don't seem to find a way to disassemble it... I have got to the point that I have removed the couplers, detached the box at bottom of locomotive (including screws #10547, and 2x #10644), but cannot seem to figure out how to continue from that point. Seems like the base and shell of locomotive are still held together by something, and I don't want to force any part of it to not break it...

Do any of you guys know what's the proper way to disassemble this locomotive to get access to the DCC socket? I have already installed DCC on a few other Bachmann China locomotives but this one seems to be causing problems.

richg

No idea what this is. If this is a diesel, you have to pop the fuel tank off and there are screws to remove after that.

Rich

Irbricksceo

THe ND-5's are basically modified C36-7 Locomotives so the models may be similar in build to the U36, anyone have on of those?

Edit: Further reasearch says it is probably closer to the Dash- 8 Locos
Modeling NYC in N

tonttu

I forgot to include this link in my OP:

http://www.chinesemodeltrains.com/encyclopedia_nd5ii.html

The last picture shows pretty good close-up on the bottom of the locomotive. There's one screw visible at very bottom, #10547, after which I get access to two other screws #10644, which I can use to remove the bottom but after that I get stuck as there are no more screws to continue with

richg

Does the diagram that came with the loco show any details?
I wonder if there is a Bachmann site that shows the exploded details like the USA Bachmann site?

Rich

tonttu

I do have the diagram which came with locomotive, but cannot seem to find the part which is currently keeping me from disassembling it. I could post it here, but I'm not sure if it's against copyright of the diagram?

Jerrys HO

tt

Looking at the link it kind of resembles my SD45 and appears that the screws holding the couplers on may be the only thing holding the shell as on my SD's.
Remove those and the shell should slide upwards.

Jerry

tonttu

Thanks Jerry! I feel such idiot ;D It just required quite a bit of force to separate it, and previously when I tried it I just didn't use enough of it being afraid I would break it  :) Now I have access to the internals, and was able to install the DCC decoder :)

Thanks a lot guys :)