HO Speed Controller problem. Can I fix it?

Started by oldpaddy, March 08, 2014, 09:53:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldpaddy

Good morning all, I am having an issue with the speed controller. Just now i am unable to switch directions. The red light will dim and the engine *might* slowly move a millimeter then stop. If I switch directions the light stays bright and the engine moves normal. If I reverse the connecter the engine will do the exact same thing, but the direction is reversed. This is happening with both engines I have tried. I can't find my multimeter to test the voltage, but assume it's the speed controller. 

Has anyone else had this issue? I'm handy with a soldering iron and can replace the defective part. Too bad I can't find my multimeter...
Thanks for any help.

the Bach-man

Dear OP,
Going into a speed controller is not recommended. Call the service department on Monday for a replacement.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

oldpaddy

I'm sure it's out of warranty and I went to college for electronics many moons ago. I'll take my chances. Besides, repairing toys is part of the fun.

Hunt

Quote from: oldpaddy on March 09, 2014, 06:17:18 AM
. . . I went to college for electronics many moons ago. I'll take my chances. Besides, repairing toys is part of the fun.
Then you should know the speed controller is not a toy and can be rendered hazardous to human and property if you make a mistake trying to repair it. Be mindful  to recognize when you know what you are doing and when you are making an assumption.  Yes, it is easy to repair with proper training and skills.

Be extra careful and use capable parts.