OFFICIAL 2014 THOMAS & FRIENDS ANNOUNCEMENTS

Started by InsideTrack, February 16, 2014, 10:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BassTbone

Quote from: Fergusfan17 on February 16, 2014, 06:30:38 PM

[EDIT] Well, Chaz, if they listen to the fans, why was there no Oliver?
Well. No Oliver.   :-[ I am pretty sad right now. ...

I think we are taking this a tad far.  The range already has nearly 20 engines and we have had a steady release every year since 2005. 

I hate to be so blunt, but some need to be more grateful they have kept all the engines in the range still and that we have been getting what we want for years now.  We've been somewhat spoiled by Bachmann. We got all the engines for series 1, most of 2 and even some of the s6 and s7 engines.  Give them a break.  Bachmann is still listening to fans.  The coaches are a prime example...

Chaz

Concurred.  Plus in all honesty we haven't had a decent building (or rolling stock for that matter) for a very long time.  So seeing high quality resin buildings and rolling stock that has been anticipated for years really is a nice treat.  Sure it's not a new engine, but as I said earlier it's understandable why they are taking a break this year for HO.

Like I said in my earlier post, (before I deleted it), I think if anything got the short end of the stick this year it was the large scale line since they are only getting repainted wagons and tankers this year.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

sodorlad

Don't bite the hand that feeds you, as they say.

Yes I am really pleased about HO coaches. And yes, 'Arry and Bert are coming so it's not like there is NOTHING to open in 2014.

But... would have loved to have seen a Large Scale Edward (Or any Large Scale Thomas loco for that matter...) join the already fantastic range. And maybe a mail coach too! Partly because by 2016 (which is likely when the next items will be out) I will be far too close to 30 for comfort and still buying Thomas  :-\

So Bachmann, how about a surprise later on in the year..? It's happened before.

Please!
Botheration...

Chaz

Actually Mark, don't feel too bad about age.  Lots of Thomas modelers, especially large scale, are fairly older collectors so in that sense you are never too old for model railroading, regardless of era or locomotives. :)

Quote from: therailwayinspector on February 17, 2014, 03:47:46 AM
We can't all be pleased all of the time - there'll be many upset they didn't announce Stepney, Boco, Stanley, Hiro, Molly, Billy..................

People actually wanted Molly and Billy?  Since when? :P  Replacing Billy and Molly with Oliver and Daisy respectively sounds more accurate to me.

Churchill8F

Is there a sufficient demand to support producing characters that have had relatively small screen time? Bachmann have already produced most of the more popular characters and although fans may ask for some of the lesser known ones, the chance of them being made is rather slim. It'd be a far better move to get some modelling tools and start building your own, it's a great way to learn skills and far more satisfying than simply getting a model out of a box and placing it on some track.  ;)

Will be placing orders for Arry and Bert at some point this year.

Jack
My Blog: 8F Works

therailwayinspector

I think my sarcastic point was missed here........
Steam, Diesel? It's All The Same.
Creator Of Thomas The Model Adventures

DinoNTrains

I thought Bachmann already did a water tower
Bachmann never ceases to amaze me :)

seanrail

Yes, but it was based on a plasticville water tower.

Chaz

A new water tower is always welcome, glad they threw that one in there!  Hopefully we will have more info on the new products coming soon in the 2014 catalog.  I hear it's out now, so hopefully it will be posted online soon.

EDIT: I just looked up the new products at Walthers, the water tower will actually be a kit as opposed to another resin building.  Still a good addition to the range nonetheless. :)

Anthony P2

anybody else notice the catalogue was out? FYI there are pictures of the Iron twins as well as the TT #4 in there and they look very nice! ;)

Fergusfan17

Quote from: Anthony P2 on February 24, 2014, 10:20:53 PM
anybody else notice the catalogue was out? FYI there are pictures of the Iron twins as well as the TT #4 in there and they look very nice! ;)

WHERE???

Chaz

Well time for me to express my thoughts on the new products that were shown in the photos (Thanks Sparks for the photos).   

To get the worst out of the way, I honestly am not too impressed with troublesome truck 4 since it's a green six ton wagon with a CGI face.  It's not the CGI face that gets me, don't get me wrong, but I was expecting something along the lines of a van repaint (similar to the one with the ice cream wagon) with a new face.  I probably won't be getting this one.  

Arry and Bert look exactly as how I pictured them.  Repaints with no ladders and have CGI faces as well.  For what they are though, despite the obvious design choice I think they look great.  Not characters who I have been keen on getting but I'm sure they'll satisfy the fans who have been anxious for them. :)

The illustration for the new water tower looks fairly good so far, but the actual model itself I am sure will look great.  Same with the red coaches, with both having no photos revealed of them so far.  Nice we finally got an insight to the new products, and I'm looking forward to seeing more soon.

So my final thoughts on what we got this year...  It was a real hit and miss.  I think the things that were great additions (like the buildings and red coaches) were all good ideas and I am sure will sell well, and I imagine Arry and Bert will do well too.  Troublesome truck #4, Jeremy, and the large scale rolling stock however I think were the misses since I have a feeling these will not be quite as popular as the other additions.  So overall, I think we did good this year and as always I am looking forward to the new additions to come soon. :)

DinoNTrains

I agree, TT#4 wasn't what I was expecting. But with what we have shown, but could it possibly be a prototype? Just was curious
Bachmann never ceases to amaze me :)

therailwayinspector

I must confess I too was hoping for a van (preferably the Salt Van) and the choice of wagon is a bit odd I feel. It has the CGI Promo face (which I think we were all expecting), but doesn't look right on a truck that low. However, it's another wagon with a face, and for those that missed the wagon in its previous guise, it's another chance to obtain; it can always be repainted.

Arry and Bert are another 'as expected' . We all knew really they would gain CGI faces as indeed they have. It may just be me but does anyone else think Arry has just a little too much stubble?
Nevertheless, they both look great and I shall certainly be adding them to my collection when released.

The water tower is a nice last-minute addition to the range and I'm glad they're adding it - with the station and other buildings announced this year I think it's a nice accompaniment and would do well in a yard or around the sheds.
Steam, Diesel? It's All The Same.
Creator Of Thomas The Model Adventures