News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann HO Pacific Flyer

Started by chuckjq, February 20, 2014, 02:28:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuckjq

Just recently received Pacific Flyer as gift.Canthis be converted to DCC and what decoder should I use?
TNX

Doneldon

Chuck-

In essence, anything can be converted to DCC; the issue for a given loco is whether the time and expense involved is justified by the result. This isn't a particularly tough install and you have a brand new engine so I would say to go ahead. I know I would.

As for what decoder to use, well, that's something only you can decide. You know your budget and whether you want sound. I suggest that you go to various decoder manufacturers' web pages and see just what's available. Check Digitrax, ESU, NCE, MRC and TCS. That will pretty much cover the waterfront for what's available. Tony's Train Exchange has a wealth of information about decoders and, installation and DCC generally; a trip there is definitely worth your time.

Then go looking for price at various online hobby shops and eBay. If you are lucky enough to have an actual hobby shop near your home, be sure to check there as well. Once you have gathered your information about what's available for what price from whom, you'll be ready to make your purchase.
                                                                                                                                                                                     -- D

richg

This is not plug and play. You have to isolate the motor contacts from the frame and hard-wire the decoder in the loco. You need soldering experience. Decoders come with general wiring instructions, not specific to any loco.
I have put a DZ125 in a Bachmann Plymouth, 0-6-0 but I have done DCC installs and know how to solder.
Not trying to discourage you but many have no idea on what is required for DCC and there are many, many variables.
You would do better to buy a Bachmann loco that has at least, DCC onboard. There are many, brand new, for around $50 to $60 if you know how to shop online. I have seen them.
A little over $100 with sound.

Then, there is the DCC controller but the Bachmann will run on DC but not quite like some expect them too.
You would do good to Google, DCC information controllers, decoder brands etc.

Rich

chuckjq

TNX for the replies. That answers my question and gives me something to go on. I also have the Bachmann DCC EZ command set so between the two I should be okay.  I have hundreds of old items I use to have set up and amresetting up with lots of old locomotives.  I probably won't bother with the old ones.  I'm thinking of setting up two setups with the old and new but not connected.  Mostly interested in switching and running trains.  TNX for the answers.

chuckjq

To the gentlemen who replied to my original post, going through boxes of my old stuff, I found a MRC 6200 power controller and a MRC Model 2000 DCC controller I didn't even remember having.  Still in the original boxes and never been used.  Any comments on there usability, or should I just "deep-six" them.  Comments from anyone else would also be appreciated.

jward

mrc 2000 was long ago replaced by prodigy. it is probably no longer supported by mrc. I would imagine it is still usable as it should conform to the dcc standard. but if you outgrow it, you'll want to look at something else that you can upgrade as needed.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

richg

Quote from: jward on February 28, 2014, 07:31:01 AM
mrc 2000 was long ago replaced by prodigy. it is probably no longer supported by mrc. I would imagine it is still usable as it should conform to the dcc standard. but if you outgrow it, you'll want to look at something else that you can upgrade as needed.

The 2K I had would run sound locos. Mostly the chuff or prime mover sound. Just no control over the sounds.
Could not modify CV's. Only program loco number.
The 2K is no longer supported by MRC.
Gave my 2K set away about 7 years ago. It was nice to have five throttles but could only run two or three locos at a time. Two other locos would be ready to go at a moments notice though.

Giving my NCE Power Cab to girlfriend's grandson.

Rich

Doneldon

Chuck-

Your old MRC train controllers should work just fine if they worked when you put them away. The MRC 2000 is an antique in terms of DCC, but it should work. I used one for the three large scale (I had the more powerful version of the 2000) locos I had for my dismountable layout at my other house. It did what I needed it to do and it got me over the DCC hump. I sold it when we downsized into our present house. I did miss having control over the sounds.
                                                                                                                                                                               -- D