News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO MOGUL LOSES SOUND !

Started by MarkInLA, March 27, 2014, 08:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkInLA

HI, I powered up NCE. Ran 2-6-0 short distance. Blew whistle once. After that sound quit ! Headlight OK. No 'trouble code' after recycling power CV 30 to 2 or CV 8 to 8. CV 128 (volume) is at 235 not '0'. CV 29 is value 38/tried going to value 50. No dice/worse, wouldn't roll to boot. Other loco RS 3 is normal ( so, likely not NCE problem). Cognizant that loco address was possibly back to 3 or remained at #1908. Either way loco should have an idling sound while stopped. No idle, nothing.. Tried other CVs related. If CV 128 was accidentally changed on function mapping or such there STILL would be an idle... No visible decoder wires torn. If you think it IS physical( speaker blown, wire torn inside tender ) what is tender shell removal sequence ? I see tabs at rear under-frame. Are these pushed first ? Or merely lift shell's front ? Any suggestions I might try which I may have skipped ?  Much thanks,  Mark Harris

Hunt

The usual suspects
    ]
    • sound turned off (pressing F8 turns sound on and off)
    • programming CVs associated with sound control with incorrect value
    • wire(s) not connected
    • damaged speaker

The correct sequence is to cycle power to the locomotive after decoder reset (programming CV 8 with an 8 )

MarkInLA

Thanks for replies. Went thru every CV related to sound including 8-8 and 30-2/cycle power on/off. No dice. I did figure out how to remove tender shell ( finally noticed tiny screw between other 2 which hold that 'C' strap over the wires. Nothing looked broken or smelled burnt. Put back shell...Probably will ship it to Bmann as my 2-8-0 has broken wires too.

MarkInLA

Thank you to all pitching in. As CV 128 does show/read as a 200 value and that I have pushed F8 many times, that CV 29 is correct at 38, and that I've performed the 8 to 8 and/or 30 to 2, on/off power and that there is no fault-code, that headlight blinks 16 times after recycle, it's definitely time to send her into Bachmann repair ?  OR, does anyone have perhaps another test I can perform via CVs/functions which might correct this ? There has been no engine-idle sounds throughout ..
Thanks, Mark

Steve Magee

Mark

Might not apply in your case, being a steamer, but most of the "get goings" I have to deal with for others is to make sure CV19 is zero, where the loco was previously part of a consist.

And to all others who run steam trains - not one steam loco I have ever seen has MU receptacles on it. Do not consist. The real ones, if need to double head, have a separate crew for each loco. Use two throttles and drive 'em.

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Aust

MarkInLA

Steve, thanks. I'm very aware of no MUs (Multi unit) on real steam. In fact I get into this argument once in a while at, say, a club where someone DOES have steam in consist. I always thought this defeats the beauty of DCC, that separate crews need to get in sync throughout job up the hill or such. When 2 or more steam are running I want to see 2 or more engineers.. As far as CV 19, if it is the same as 'delete loco from consist ' on PowerCab buttons, I have done this to no avail. But I'll give IT a shot when I get home... I do think now something is shot in tender. I heard high volume at say, 250 (+-) causes too much heat and roasts something. I did have it at this level a long time.  ...Mark

Br 98.75

I had the same problem one or the rail pick up wires came out of the board with the black clip so i went in and soldered al mine to the board and i removed the stupid quick plug

MarkInLA

Quote from: Br 98.75 on April 04, 2014, 02:38:33 PM
I had the same problem one or the rail pick up wires came out of the board with the black clip so i went in and soldered al mine to the board and i removed the stupid quick plug
Ok. So you are stating you bypassed all the orange (why they don't make them in black I'll never understand ) plugs and have them all a solid wire from engine to tender, yes? Did this create any unforeseen problems, such as now more of a potential of ripping out most or all wires if, say, while carrying it to the bench to say, weather it, you accidentally dropped engine then stopped the fall by hanging on to tender, say ? Or vise versa ? Or, the modification is the same value as with plugs in this respect  ?      Mark