News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Changing loco from DC to DCC

Started by Kenmac, February 19, 2014, 11:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenmac

Hi All. I live in Australia and have just restarted the hobby after a 35 year absence.  Have decided to go Old American circa <1900. in HO
I have bought a Bachmann "HO" American 4-4-0 & Tender Item No. 51124. Still in box. Love the look of these locos.
Am in the process of designing a layout to suit my requirements to run 2 locos and a shunter.
Have been reading all about DCC  vers DC and have come to conclusion that DCC appears to be the way to go.
Anyway is it possible to make my loco DCC compatible. Is there an aftermarket kit available that is fairly simple to use.
If so, how much and where do I get it. PS. I am not too good with electronics, normal electrics OK.

Thanks Kenmac

Doneldon

Ken-

Just about anything can be converted to DCC; the question is, will it be worth it. In this case the answer is "yes." It's a manageable job and it's the only way to get an old timer with DCC. Including sound would be a little more difficult because you must also install a speaker but that task is a doable one, too.

Good luck with your project and welcome back to the hobby.

-- D

Steve Magee

Hi Ken

Welcome from a fellow Aussie. No kits available but if you do electrics then its a relatively easy job.

For a non-sound install, choose an appropriate decoder. DCC customs normally reserve the same coloured wires for the same task regardless of manufacture, even if you have to hard wire - red and black to track pickups, orange and grey to motor, white and blue to front light, yellow and blue to rear light. If there is no plug in the loco or tender (don't think there is in the American) then track the various wires in the loco with the multimeter to see what is what, the let the soldering iron and heat shrink be your friend. You might have to put the decoder in the tender, but decoders today are pretty tiny and you would be amazed at where they can fit, but if a tender is to be its home, you might have to look for miniature connectors to get from tender to loco.

Sound is a little more work, you have to find space for a speaker and have some holes somewhere for the sound to come out, but a small sound decoder like the Zimo MX648 and a sugar cube speaker make this possible too. Good luck with whatever you try.

PS - don't know what state you live in, but Model Railroad Craftsman in Blacktown NSW is very helpful.

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Aust
DCC since 1994

RAM

Ken Do a Google search "converting an ho 4-4-0 to dcc"  You will find some helpful information.

AGSB

You may also want to check out DCC Concepts web site. They are located in Australia and have lots of info on the site. It's a bit hard to navigate but poke around and you will find it.

ebtnut

Because the model has a tender drive, the installaton will be a bit of a challange.  Virtually no room there for a speaker, but maybe room inside the cab?

richg

By the way, there is an HO forum here.
Very easy. Disconnect the motor and connect the decoder. I did this some years ago with some different tender drive locos. I followed the instructions that came with the decoder.
My locos did not have lights but steam locos for many years never used lights during the day.
Only model railroader do this. lol

Three different locos.

The Mantua General tender.

Rich

richg

One contributor here, Harold has done the Bachmann with sound. He might jump in. He improved the running characteristics a lot.

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/1879/bachmann_4-4-0/sound/

Rich