Drastic difference in performance between two BACHMANN HO diesel

Started by jdw3rd, February 20, 2014, 01:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdw3rd

I have two four locomotive consists: one is made up of four Bachmann GP-## ConRail and the other of four Bachmann Gp-## Santa Fe.  All were purchased new within the span of one year.  Individually and in consist the ConRail run much smoother and with a faster top speed than the Santa Fe.  The ConRail are pulling 20 pieces of rolling stock while the Santa Fe are pulling eleven.  What would account for the drastic difference in performance?  Performance does not improve to any great degree even if I run the individual Santa Fe without any rolling stock.  These are DCC run via the hardwired Bachmann EZ Command Control System.

bapguy

The decoders and power train parts. I have several loco's from the same manufacturer with sound decoders and I had to speed match them even though they are the same model loco. Try running in all the loco's to see if that helps. Run each loco in forward for 20 minutes or so at a slow speed, then half speed for 20 minutes then full speed. Run in reverse the same way. After all are done, see if this improves the performance. Also BAchmannDCC on board decoders aren't the best on the market in my opinion.  Joe

jdw3rd

The Santa Fe are not only run-in but broken in.  Fact is I only ran-in the Santa Fe as the ConRail were never problematic.  If a loco's been "on the rails" for several months would it make a difference to run it in at that point?  Should I perhaps reset them to factory settings ( there's an E-Z Command sequence for that somewhere... ) and then run them in again?

I was thinking perhaps it was a motor step issue where they are not all "in step" with each other so I removed all rolling stock, uncoupled the consist ( but left them all on the same channel ) and run them around the rail in a stagger:  they did not exhibit a drastic difference in speed one to any other although there was a variance ( haven't tried this with the ConRail for comparison ).

Should I ask my local hobby shop to verify / adjust the steps - they have the DCC system capable of that...

Do the Bachmann DCC chips ( or whatever ) support adjusting the step?

jdw3rd

bapguy

jdw3rd

Funny you should say:  I'm planning to upgrade to the Bachmann Dynamis so we'll set this aside 'till then....

Doneldon

jdw-

I'd suspect that a previous owner fooled around with the speed settings but you wrote that you purchased these new. I think maybe YOU need to do some speed matching but you'll have to wait until you have your upgraded system to do so.

I find myself wondering if quad-heading your locomotives is part of your problem. It's exceedingly unlikely that four locos, even four locos right out of the box, would all run at the same speed. You might just have one balky Santa Fe engine which is dragging down the rest. Do you really need four locomotives to pull 11 or 20 pieces of rolling stock? (And don't make the error of assuming that 20 cars are always a greater load than 11. Lots of factors, including weight, couplers, wheel material, truck engineering and lubrication go into how any given car rolls.)
                                                                                                                                                                                  -- D

jdw3rd

It's a shelf railroad that runs around my office wall and from high side to low side – due to different height doorways – I have 3% grade on opposing walls ( the high side and low side are level ).  I've stripped *all* the weights out of the rolling stock so weight is not an issue at all: I just like the big consists :) Like I said they are fairly close to each other but top end ( if you will ) is markedly lower than any one of the ConRail.  They also are not nearly as smooth at low throttle as the ConRail.  I've oiled and lubed all their drivetrains with LaBelle 106 & 107 which made them run quieter but not noticeably better – I have not done any maintenance to the ConRail...

Maybe I'll clear the line and run each Santa Fe independent then pick the best matched pair for a two loco' consist 'till I get the upgraded controller and can tinker ( four pulling such a short string does look kind of odd..... )

While I'd like to tune these Santa Fe up I'm still puzzled as to why; as individuals, the ConRail all run better than any of the Santa Fe:  they're all from Bachmann: GP Santa Fe, GP 30 Santa Fe (2) and GP-40 Santa Fe .vs. GP-30 ConRail (2), GP-35 ConRail and GP-40 ConRail.  It would seem that the only difference should be the paint scheme.

Now when I say "all from Bachmann" I mean "they're all Bachmann" however the majority were purchased from WEB storefronts and not factory direct so I have some suspicion that a few might well be factory refurbished as opposed to new manufacture however that's not a disclosure that's ever been made...... That said I *have* reset all of them to factory using the E-Z Command Controler ( the sequence to do so is in one of these forums or FAQs )...

I'll follow-up as things develop and once I get up the $$$ for the Dynamis....

I do have Email notification on this thread so by all means let's hear from others with their experiences and/or suggestions!

Hunt

There are a few "usual suspects" why your locomotives run so drastically different but I would have to examine and run them, I will not speculate.

You cannot speed match the locomotives (I understand you have) with Bachmann Dynamis or any DCC system.

All the Configuration Variables, CVs, to do speed matching are not available with the decoder factory installed in locomotives labeled DCC On Board (unless Bachmann has changed the decoder). The speed steps are fixed.

Click Here for PDF containing list of the supported CVs.

Before purchasing Dynamis or any DCC system, do the research so you understand what you are getting. If you buy on assume or ill-informed advice, you may be pleasantly surprised or you may sooner or later have buyer's remorse.

jward

speed matching is relatively easy to do, if you have a dcc system capable of .programming the individual cv.s and a decoder which allows this programming, I believe cv5 controls top speed and cv6 controls mid speed.

the way I do it is to take my slowest locomotive, and time it with a stopwatch around a loop of track at top speed, then again at half speed. I use its time as a base and adjust the others to match by adjusting their top and mid speeds downward to match. record any adjustments you make in a notebook so that if you ever need to do a reset on the decoder you can reprogram them.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

bapguy

JDW if you're not going to add sound to these loco's , replace the DCC on board decoder with NCE ones. NCE makes a replacement style that is the same as the Bachmann ones. It's the second on shown here:
http://www.ncedcc.com/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.browse&category_id=13&vmcchk=1
You can do speed tables with these and they are a good brand. Also look into getting a computer interface and JMRI. I use a Digitra PR3  and decoder Pro that makes programming speed tables easy.  Joe

Hunt

You may read the Dynamis Pro Box has a PC interface, however; it does not.

None of Bachmann currently available DCC systems have a computer interface and a PC interface is not available as an add-on for the Bachmann DCC systems.

jdw3rd

It's a shelf railroad and not prototypical in any way.  I want the Dynamis primarily for the better power supply and the wireless.  Maybe after I retire I'll find the room for a benchwork layout but for now I'd just like to get the damned things to run well....

This all started with the Bachmann Ascella Kit from my wife with her ( naive ) observation that I could "just build a shelf for it around my office...".   Well here I am: 2 years and $2K+ later ( but it IS a Train Load of FUN )!