Started by silver69, February 20, 2014, 11:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silver69

Just ordered a set of Western Maryland Alco FA's
Can't wait for them to show up.

silver69

got 'em today
Love the see through screens.

lubed the transmission and wired in series, nice engines.

Should have the B unit next week.

Next up is LED's

WKT58

The Alco FA-1's are really great looking and smooth-running locomotives.  I have them in Rock Island, Great Northern, and New York Central road names. 

silver69

Got the B unit today, what a beautiful set

RRAddict2

Looks sharp, you may also want to add one small section of strip LED lights for the cab.  It is a little complicated as you have to run the leads to the back pickup and ground but the effect is great. I did this for my CB&Q F-7s and they look fantastic. If I can figure out a way to post a pic I will.

silver69

I'm thinking about adding an interior and cab lights.
With the see through screens on the sides I bet it would look great

For the headlight and markers I soldered leads to the bulb socket.
No movement like when I attached the leads to the front truck on my F7.

When I have the cab open I'll check out the rear truck for power like you mentioned.

Posting a picture is easy, do you have a Photobucket account?
Once loaded on photobucket you just right click the picture and save the url.
Then click the second button on the second row above the smiley faces in this forum and paste the url in between the brackets that appear.

RRAddict2

I use to tap into the headlight also but after the first couple of times it seemd I was making it harder than it should be. I started taking 26 AWG stranded wire and making small loops at the end just big enough for the roller screw to fit through and another for the ground on the other end. Normally you would use smale round connectors but the are too thick and the screws don't have enough thread.  TVR the wires to the side of the shell so the stay out of the way. I will post a pic of the ones I did tonight.

silver69

I did the same thing on a different engine except I used solid wire and it failed from fatigue.
Stranded wire is a much better idea when attaching to the truck.

I used electrical tape to secure the wires inside the shell.

silver69

email the pictures to me and I'll post them for you

r0gruth

I have probably missed it somewhere but what is "TRV"?
Roger

Joe Satnik

RTV? (Silicone adhesive sealant?)
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

RRAddict2

I figured out how to post the pics, I started a new thread with the green cab lights.