News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum Compatibility

Started by ejseider, February 23, 2014, 06:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ejseider

I've got an HO analog set-up, and am running a Broadway Limited 4-8-4 with a BL DC Master controller for sound.  I'm not quite ready to upgrade to DCC but have been looking at a Bachmann Spectrum equipped steam engine.  Is Bachmann Spectrum compatible with the BL DC Master for controlling sounds?

Doneldon

ej-

No. The proprietary DC sound controllers work only with their own brand models. I wouldn't be surprised if some sounds might work between brands but it would be a chance thing and there would be no reason to believe all sounds would work the way they would within a single brand. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the button for the bell on one brand's sound controller would operate the lights, say, on a different brand of loco. This is because the hand-held DC sound controllers are not necessarily NMRA compliant.
                                                                                                                                                                                 -- D

ejseider

Too bad.  I really like the Bachmann engine, but can't see paying the price for a DCC loco if I can't at least get some of the DCC functionality before I can afford to upgrade to DCC.

Doneldon

ej-

You usually do get some sounds operating a DCC/sound locomotive on DC but you probably won't have control over what sound you get when. Some blow the whistle at forward, reverse and stop. Some play the bell at low speeds. Some have the chugging sounds when the loco is in motion, maybe with additional random sounds like the dynamo, blow downs, shoveling coal, etc. It depends on what the manufacturer programmed in. There can also be no sound if that's how the manufacturer set it up.
                                                                                                                                                                                  -- D

Brewman

If you know someone with JMRI and a program track you might be able to change some of the decoder settings for analog operations. You will not be able to randomly activate sounds but it may be possible for the bell, whistle/horn, and other sounds to active automatically.

JerryB

Quote from: ejseider on February 24, 2014, 07:09:22 PM
Too bad.  I really like the Bachmann engine, but can't see paying the price for a DCC loco if I can't at least get some of the DCC functionality before I can afford to upgrade to DCC.
The solution is simple: You want DCC functionality, upgrade your system to DCC. Then you will be able to fully use what you paid for.

Personally, I do not understand the mindset that expects Ferrari performance for a Volkswagen price! And, that comes from a person who hopes to soon be able to upgrade to DCC, but is currently stuck on plain old DC!

Hope this does not offend & Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

jbrock27

I knew there was someone else who still ran on DC :D
Keep Calm and Carry On