News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Buying a G scale Diesel

Started by SteveWard3928, February 24, 2014, 06:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveWard3928

OK....stupid question time!!! ???

I have my eye on a Conrail GP-7 ($350) 4 axle dual motors and a remote for the sound control.

My concern is it is made by Lionel.  It is large scale and they say it runs on 45mm  G scale track.

Is that true?  Will I run into any problems if I buy this diesel locomotive?  My track is Bachmann with a few LGB.  All my cars are Bachmann. I am using a 10 amp power supply.

And if Bachmann reads this:   Start producing a few diesels!!!!
S&S

Gonna get blamed for it...you might as well do it!!

Chuck N

There are probably better sites for this question, such as Mylargescale or largescalecentral.  My understanding is that Bachmann track is 4' diameter.  Larger locomotives such as the Diesel you are looking at will not be a happy camper on 4' diameter curves.  I do not have any Lionel, so I can't add anything to your original question.  

Chuck

One last comment, Bachmann is doing an excellent job of producing Narrow Gauge rolling stock.  I would be surprised if they went into Standard Gauge any time soon.  Unless they acquire the AristoCraft molds.

armorsmith

Steve,

I agree with Chuck that the other sites will yield better advice as to the Lionel locomotive's quality and performance.  I can say that there are a number of posters on those sites who own and run them.

I will however disagree with him on the Bachmann track.  If I assume you have the standard stamped steel track that is supplied with starter sets, then yes he is correct.  Bachmann does make a higher standard track that is rolled/extruded brass (not sure, both are good manufacturing methods for brass) that comes in an 8" diameter circle.  Although still a bit tight for that grade of locomotive, it will negotiate it fine.

Garden Railways magazine (both print and online) are also excellent resources for all aspects of garden/large scale railways.  I have a three year subscription to the print copy, which gives me access to all the digital content.

Good luck and welcome aboard!

Bob C.

the Bach-man

Dear Steve,
I have a couple of the Lionel Geeps, but I like the USA version much better.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Kevin Strong

Chuck, Bachmann is doing the Peter Witt trolley in 1:29, so who knows what lies ahead in that regard.

In terms of the GP-7, I couldn't say. Searching MyLargeScale.com, the general consensus seems to be that the trucks aren't the greatest. My only experience with Lionel large scale is their 0-6-0 "Goldrush" loco, which wasn't the best performer. If the GP-7 is stock, it's got Lionel's "Railsounds" sounds, which if I recall correctly superimposed the sound control signal over the track voltage. This stuff came out 20+ years ago, so don't expect Phoenix quality on the sound.

Having said that, it, the GP-20, and the 4-4-2 Atlantic are fairly well-regarded in terms of being good-looking models. If your goal is to convert them to battery power, you may be better off than if you're running track power.

Later,

K

Chuck N

"K", I know about the trolley, but that does not make them a major player in 1:29 in the near future, with diesels and cars.  Time will tell.

Chuck

Loco Bill Canelos

Steve,  Good to see you in an expansionist  mood! My Lionel GP 7 experience was poor and i sold it as quick as I could, I got it a lot cheaper than $350.  You can get a good USA Trains GP7  for a lower price if you shop around.   Bachmann has made diesels the 45 tonner was not a great seller, but I have two and love them. You can still find them on Ebay

Cheers & Beers

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

scottychaos

$350 is WAAAAAY overpriced for a Lionel GP7.
Recent sales on ebay show them selling for $100 to $200.
Personally, I wouldnt pay any more than $100 for one..they arent that great,
and the USA trains GP9 is much better..

Scot

tac

I bought my USA Trains Santa Fe GP7 and 9 within a couple of weeks of the announcement, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when.  They are two of the most reliable locos I've ever had - great haulers that have had only one set [one axle each] of replacement wheels in what must be literally hundreds of hours running with decent-sized consists.  Just one was fitted with a PH sound system - a piece of ****.  I left the other one alone to develop its own growl as it it wore in/out.

Fifteen years later, I'm still waiting.

The GP9 got accidentally set running on our little layout while we were home in Canada for three weeks - I found it still running around as we unlocked the back door on our return.  Three of the cars behind it had plastic wheels - they were still running on them, mostly flangeless by then.  They, and the loco, were all covered with birdie poo, and for a few years afterwards we had the amazing sight of a couple of blackbirds riding on the cars whenever they saw this loco out.  All it needed was a good [and careful] wash, and the traction tyre axle changing out.

If present quality is the same, you sure won't be disappointed.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

SteveWard3928

OK, thanks to all that replied.  I will NOT be buying a Lionel Locomotive.  I will stick with either Aristo or USA locomotives.  I detest the way LGB even looks. This is why I read this board, to get the opinion of others, who have more experience than I.  Thank you!!!!
S&S

Gonna get blamed for it...you might as well do it!!

Joe Zullo

Hey don't forget that Bachmann also made the 1:20.3 scale Davenport locos. They are great and I have two of them.