piano wire turnout throw rods

Started by SteamGene, October 01, 2007, 10:37:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

I assume that to build under layout piano wire throw rods for turnouts, the hole in the layout surface has to be big enough for the wire to move the entire distance to throw the points.  What is a recommended switch to attach to the other end of the rod?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

r.cprmier

Gene;
I have seen several of these set-ups, and they work great.  They use piano wire yes-but the wire is run in a tube or conduit if you will, of some kind of nylon, poly, etc about a comfortable diameter for the wire to move back and fro.  This conduit is secured at intervals by straps to prevent excessive shifting of the tube, which would defeat the purpose of the assembly.
what I have seen used for a switch is simple slide switches, the configuration is whatever you need, but probably go with a DPDT; cheaper, and it will still work.

I'd like to hear other variations on the same theme.

RIch
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

fieromike

Quote from: r.cprmier on October 01, 2007, 06:27:27 PM
Gene;
I have seen several of these set-ups, and they work great.  They use piano wire yes-but the wire is run in a tube or conduit if you will, of some kind of nylon, poly, etc about a comfortable diameter for the wire to move back and fro.  This conduit is secured at intervals by straps to prevent excessive shifting of the tube, which would defeat the purpose of the assembly.
what I have seen used for a switch is simple slide switches, the configuration is whatever you need, but probably go with a DPDT; cheaper, and it will still work.

I'd like to hear other variations on the same theme.

RIch
The conduit is r/c aircraft (and boat) pushrods, meant to  connect  the servos to the rudder, throttle, etc.  you screw  a piece of threaded rod into each end , then there are all sorts of fittings that you can use to hook the rods to levers, bellcranks, etc.  IIRC, they are available up to 48" long, but I don't see why you couldn't hook two together for longer runs.

Mike

RAM

You do not need to cut a hole in the layout.  You can do as Rich said.  You can run this on
top of the layout and just cover it up. This wire can even run under another track.  Mike I also got some of those to try.  I think they will work great and no worry about a short.

Jim Banner

By all means use DPDT slide switches.  One half can be used to switch the frog of power routing all metal turnouts and the other half can be used with red/green diodes to show which way the turnout is set.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

SteamGene

I'm using Atlas code 100 #6 turnouts.  I've bent the wire at the end into an "L<" but it keeps slidding out.  I'll check into using boat/airplane pushrods and attachments.  I know about using some form of tube to keep the wire straight.  There should be some MR article on this, somewhere.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

fieromike

Quote from: SteamGene on October 02, 2007, 08:55:05 AM
I'm using Atlas code 100 #6 turnouts.  I've bent the wire at the end into an "L<" but it keeps slidding out.  I'll check into using boat/airplane pushrods and attachments.  I know about using some form of tube to keep the wire straight.  There should be some MR article on this, somewhere.
Gene
Using just piano wire limits you a bit, but I would suggest looking into using a "Z" bend at the turnout end.  It won't slip out of the throwbar.  If you don't know what that is, the guy in the R/C section can help you.  They also make a "Z" bending tool that makes neat and consistent bends; ~$10 when I bought mine.
If you use the airplane pushrods, you have a bunch of clevises, etc available to play with.  This is probably the stuff that you've been seeing pictures of.  It comes in several different diameters and can be easily cut to length with a sharp blade.

Mike

SteamGene

Actually, the biggest difficulty right now is finding DPDT sliding switches!
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

r.cprmier

ctually, the biggest difficulty right now is finding DPDT sliding switches!

Check with John at Demar Electric

demarelectric.com

Rich
Rich

r.cprmier

errata:

Gene; try calling them at 877-655-6433.

You might also try Greenway, Radio Shack, etc.

Rich.
Rich

taz-of-boyds

or Mouser Electronics, tons of electronics, and they send you their catalog after you order.

- http://www.mouser.com/

Charles

ASIANLIFE

The wire tubing used to hang up net curtains is excellent as a cheap conduit for the operating wire. I presume it is the same product in the US as in UK. Another tip is to bend an omega shaped loop into the operating wire to handle any tolerance issues.

Paul

Woody Elmore

At one time people used  automotive manual choke cables to through switches. These are still available for small engines like lawn mowers and the like.

Atlantic Central

Gene,

I use DPDT slide switches for all my manual trunouts. I don't know where Rich shops, but I have no problem getting them.

My prefered switch is Radio Shack #275-407 - submini slide switch.

I mount mine on the layout surface, recessed in the roadbed, drill a hole in the handle, and bend a "Z" shaped wire to connect it to the turnout. They operate well with a small srewdriver, a dowel with the end hollowed out or with your hand.

I use the contacts for power routing and signaling.

They may not look real prototypical, but they are small and unabtrusive, providing both mechanical and electrical functions. I developed this because I wanted the electrical contacts, I wanted a ground throw that would fit between 2" track centers and could be thrown with the same tool used for manual uncoupling.

I can send you a drawing of my installation details if you are interested.

Sheldon

SteamGene

I was about to check Radio Shack today.  Thanks.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat