News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Switch Control Box

Started by waynel, March 19, 2014, 08:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waynel

I just purchased my first HO DCC E-Z Track system. I've laid out the tracks in a double oval design with 2 engines using a left hand and right hand remote switch. I can't find instructions anywhere (I've scoured the web) on how to connect/operate these switches. Do I need another device or accessory to hook these up to?

Doneldon

Wayne-

If your remote turnouts are NOT DCC (that's the way it sounds), they should have come with electrical switches which will operate them and two cables to connect them. You'll need a power supply other than your DCC system. A used entry-level power pack or a surplus wall wart from an old toy or cell phone charger will work just fine. Look for something with an output in the range of 12-16 volts and at least .5 amps (500 ma). One amp is better.

The two-conductor wire will run from the power supply to the pair of terminals on the sides of the electrical switches. You can connect your electrical switches together so you only need one line from the power supply. The three-conductor cable runs between the electrical switches and the turnout motors. The center conductor is the so-called neutral. If your switch controls the turnout the way you want, you're finished. If not, that is, if you want the left electrical switch position to line the turnout to straight but it makes the turnout go to the divergent route, just reverse the outside wires on either the switch or the turnout.

If your turnouts are DCC, they will use track power and all you'll need to do is program them to operate from your DCC controller. The DCC instructions will tell you how to do that. I personally have no love for operating DCC turnouts with track power, especially if the DCC system is marginal on power in the first place or you want to line more than one turnout with a single button push.
                                                                                                                                                                              -- D

Hunt

Click Here for Bachmann instructions for their E-Z Track Remote Turnout. Read all the instructions,  don't just depend on the illustrations.

waynel

Thanks, that explains a lot!