News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EMD SD40-2 DCC ON BOARD

Started by Chrisbenadie, March 03, 2014, 11:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrisbenadie

I bought a EMD SD40-2   DCC ON BOARD diesel, the loco makes a very high pitched noise when starting off(like motor is labouring), but does not move until controller is about 40 %.What Decoder is on board ,and how can I rectify this problem.
Thank you
:(

Hunt

If you are using DC around 40% throttle before movement is normal.

If you are using DCC then --
Unless Bachmann has changed and your locomotive is HO, it is a Bachmann two function decoder (based on about a decade old technology Lenz firmware), which operates the locomotive's motor at a frequency heard by people with normal hearing as a hum, buzz or whine. The noise lessens as the speed increases if this is the root.

What to do.. . Replace the Bachmann decoder with a decoder that operates at a frequency beyond normal human hearing. The type of decoder is general referred to as a silent running type decoder.

trainmainbrian

I have a bachmann DCC equipped loco.. no sound just DCC ready.. " got it as a christmas gift this year " its Bachmann's Silver Series Loco UP #2024.  Well anyway the loco ran OK out of box.. But in all honestly & not trying to offend anyone but Bachmann's decoders are Not the best.. & to mention I Buy a lot of bachmann sliver series rolling stock & that product line is very decent & works well on my layout & of course weathered up.... But anyway I changed out the decoder to a tsunami.. Decoder & actually use both products in my 5 locos & think tsunami and digitrax are the best on the market today for people running DCC locos..  Dont get me wrong I love the bachmann loco I have it runs great on my layout with the upgraded DCC & SOUND DECODER.. + think instead of trying to reprogramming CV's I would get a tsunami or digitrax one... I think you will have better luck....
If your not thinking of Model Railroading each day you must be having a bad day.....& do not leave your mind @ the station...

richg

That is not unusual. Some of the Bachmann stuff is to get model railroaders into the hobby at a lower cost. As with ANY hobby, you have to upgrade many different things.
Bachmann has been moving into better decoders using the Tsunami technology.
Spend some looking through the different forums. You will see a lot of changes, improvements.
Bachmann ha been trying to make trains available at some what lower cost and in many ways DCC is much different than DC controlled trains.
NCE makes a very good non sound decoder specifically for Bachmann diesels.
I am sure you know SoundTraxx has a decoder selector for many Bachmann locos.

Rich