News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound Decoder

Started by Shunter, March 06, 2014, 09:17:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shunter

Hello

I have a N gauge engine which I would like to have sound fitted, It is a N EMD DD40AX Centennial Union Pacific. could anyone tell me what type of sound decoder I will need for this engine

Thanks

Shunter

bapguy

skipgear

Quote from: Shunter on March 06, 2014, 09:17:54 AM
Hello

I have a N gauge engine which I would like to have sound fitted, It is a N EMD DD40AX Centennial Union Pacific. could anyone tell me what type of sound decoder I will need for this engine

Thanks

Shunter

If it is one of the more recent ones, I would see what the decoder that comes in the current DD40 runs. The current release comes with sound in it. It might just be cheaper to buy a new one with sound though. A good sound decoder will run you over $100 by the time you get a proper fitting speaker.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

Brewman

If it is one of the recent models with DCC, the stock decoder could be replaced with this decoder: 827002  TSU-750 EMD 645 from Soundtraxx. You will also need a 1/2 inch (13mm) speaker to put into the fuel tank. I haven't looked into mine yet to see how everything will fit. This will not be a plug and play operation, soldering is involved. I may actually use a Loksound decoder instead as it has some lighting outputs the Soundtraxx decoder does not.

Brewman

Well after watching a video of the new Soundvalue DDA40X, I may have to get one. Duel engine sounds and the cab strobe is a lot better. I could probably fix the strobe but I don't think I could do the dual sound with what is available currently. And my current loco is only a year old :-\

Barry

Hunt

An aside....

A full featured SoundTraxx Tsunami decoder can emulate dual prime movers using reverb. 

richg

Quote from: Hunt on March 09, 2014, 07:54:13 PM
An aside....

A full featured SoundTraxx Tsunami decoder can emulate dual prime movers using reverb. 

Look at the below link on this issue. Bruce owned a online DCC supplier for some time.
He now writes for the MRH site about many DCC issues.
Look through all his site. He has loads of good DCC info with more useful links. Store the below link to help others.

http://www.mrdccu.com/curriculum/soundtraxx/tsunami.htm

Rich

boeingtrijet

Don't forget that Beast has 2 Diesels in it!!!