News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Are Bachmann engines compatible ?

Started by dwdrummer, March 05, 2014, 10:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwdrummer

I have been operating my HO layout for over 45 years. I've used Athearn Ready to Roll engines exclusively. Lately I've come to notice the Bachmann line of fine Ready to Run GP40-2 engines in the CSX Dark Future paint scheme.
What I'd like to know from the other modelers that use Bachmann diesels out there is if Athearn and Bachmann are compatible if used together, whether in 2,3 or 4 engines coupled together.
I'm very impressed with the paint and numbers on your engines, but before making purchases to compliment my CSX GP38-2 & GP40-2 fleet I would like to know if they are compatible. ( multiple units coupled together)
I still run the locomotives with a DC power pack and purchasing anything with sound etc is just not for me. I'll stay old school.
Looking for answers if possible out there and a thank you to all those who reply to my questions.
Thank you,

Doneldon

dw-

There are no mechanical or electrical issues which would create any problems if you run Athearn and Bachmann locomotives together. You could find some speed matching problems but that could be true for all Athearn or all Bachmann consists, too. I suggest that you go ahead and try it. If you have a good LHS (making you the envy of many model rails) you can try taking one or two of your existing locos in and see how they play with ones from Bachmann.
                                                                                                                                                                                -- D

richg

There is a good chance they will be compatible. Make sure they are setup for DC only operation. I believe many are going to be DCC on board which is DC or DCC capable. Running those in a multiple set up might not work very well. I have yet to hear of anyone trying that.

You have to turn the power pack up at least half way just to get them to start moving if they have a dual mode decoder in them.
Some do run two or three together  which are wired only for DC.
Make sure you read the details about what you are buying. Some are DC and some are DCC on board.
From the diagram page.
As an example, below is a GP38-2 for DC.
Might be just a plain PC board that ties the lights and motor together.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/H617X_IS001.pdf

Below is a GP38-2 DCC on Equipped. Notice the Digital PCB. It will have a lot of parts on it.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/H611X_IS001.pdf

Some times a diesel might have an eight pin connector to plug in a DC adapter or a decoder.
There are some here who will have more info on the different variations of Bachmann diesels.

Rich

dwdrummer

Gentlemen thanks for the reply. I have the 2012 catalog and have refered to page 58 & 59 for a view of the CSX GP40 engine in question. On page 58 it mentions DC Equipped. While not using DCC equipped Athearn engines I'm not 100% familair with the fact that there might be a switch or plug to use to allow them to be either DC or DCC. If there's something under the shell that I will need to do how involved is it to remove the shell to accomplish this ? While on the same subject is it easy to reach the gears on the trucks from the top or underside in the event that they need to be lubrication eventually. The same with changing out couplers on these engines how involved is it ?
As mentioned I only use Ready to Roll Athearn and am looking forward to seeing and trying a Bachmann Ready to Run engine coupled to an Athearn 4 axel for their operations and possibly purchase some to compliment my CSX fleet of GP38 &GP40 engines.
Thank you,

richg

Some engines "might" be easy to install a DC adapter, some not. Bachmann makes the locos in different configurations.
There are many different configurations for HO locos among different manufacturer.
Look at the Bachmann online catalogue. Very easy to do. I did already. Some locos are DC only. There is no mention of DCC for the loco in the ad.
Some say, DCC equipped.
Some say DCC and sound equipped.
Some of the diesels are not easily converted to DC. FORGET a switch.
Many of the steamers you can unplug the decoder and plug in a six pin adapter.
Some diesels, there were some clips to put in but I am not into most of the Bachmann diesels. Only some streamers.

Micro Mark and The Favourite Spot both stock Bachmann locos.

Rich

Doneldon

dw-

Many DCC decoders, including all of the ones in Bachmann locomotives, are called "dual-mode" decoders because the decoder itself detects whether there is DC or DCC on the tracks and operates accordingly. There is no switch or any reason to remove the loco's shell. This is a good thing because getting inside of locomotives seems to be the most difficult or at least mysterious thing there is.

Non-DCC locomotives may have a socket to plug a decoder into (such units are generally called "DCC ready"), or simply have so-called normal DC wiring. There is also something called "DCC friendly." That usually means that a conversion to DCC shouldn't be difficult because at least some of the work has been done (probably using a can motor or at least electrically isolating the motor from the frame) but it won't be as easy as "DCC ready." Please note that I used the terms "generally" and "usually" because different manufacturers may not always follow the customary application of these terms. That was more sketchy a few years ago but you can pretty much rely on the terms today.
                                                                                                                                                                                          -- D

trainmainbrian

Quote from: dwdrummer on March 05, 2014, 10:02:48 PM
I have been operating my HO layout for over 45 years. I've used Athearn Ready to Roll engines exclusively. Lately I've come to notice the Bachmann line of fine Ready to Run GP40-2 engines in the CSX Dark Future paint scheme.
What I'd like to know from the other modelers that use Bachmann diesels out there is if Athearn and Bachmann are compatible if used together, whether in 2,3 or 4 engines coupled together.
I'm very impressed with the paint and numbers on your engines, but before making purchases to compliment my CSX GP38-2 & GP40-2 fleet I would like to know if they are compatible. ( multiple units coupled together)
I still run the locomotives with a DC power pack and purchasing anything with sound etc is just not for me. I'll stay old school.
Looking for answers if possible out there and a thank you to all those who reply to my questions.
Thank you,

dwdrummer -  Personally I use Walters Mainline Ready to Run Loco's on my layout.. But I recently got a Bachmann LOCO this past Christmas
Its From Bachmann's Sliver Series of product lineup.. It was a UP - GP-38-2 Second Generation #2024... DCC Ready "NO Sound"... I will admit NOT ever owning a Bachmann Loco I was very amazed on how good this LOCO ran on my Layout right out of the Bachmann Box.. Now with an Updated DCC Sound & Decoder from tsunami & fully weathered it is one of my Favorite Loco's to run Now... & my Bachmann Loco has no problems running with my Walters Loco's coupled up with each other... & as a matter of fact a few of my Model railroad buddies Can't believe my UP Loco is a Bachmann... Yes said honestly they thought is was a Walters...

& to be honest with you dwdrummer - DCC is the way to go today... when I 1st started building my layout 2 -1/2 years ago I was just going to go with regular DC & throw in a transformer & hook my track power up to my layout.. But after seeing my friends layout I was amazed on the Sounds I was hearing from the Loco's & from there I never looked back & it was DCC & sound in the locos all the way for me.....
If your not thinking of Model Railroading each day you must be having a bad day.....& do not leave your mind @ the station...

jbrock27

dwd, re: your Athearn RTR locos: to my knowledge, they should not have any wires or connections factory installed for DCC conversion.  It would be very easy to do, if you so chose down the road.  Lots of YouTube and internet information out there on how to accomplish that by isolating the motor from the frame.
The shell should be very easy to remove to gain access to the inside.  Did yours come with a blow up diagram?  What models are your Athearn RTRs?  Removing couplers to replace should be as easy as loosening a screw or popping off a coupler cover, depending on the model.  Same with the trucks, you should be able to easily pry off the plastic clip at the bottom of each truck, with a small screw driver.  If unsure how to approach this, there are pics and vids out on in the internet on how to get them off.  Once off, it is easy to lube the gears (with grease I would recommend, plastic compatible) and the lube will carry to the worm gears.  If you wanted to lube the worm gears directly, it is easy enough to pry off their covers, but you need to get the shell off.  Any questions, feel free to ask.  I hoped this helped.  I still run DC too ;)

tmb, I have never heard of Bachmann Silver Series locos, but have Silver Series rolling stock.  They make some very nice rolling stock for reasonable prices.
Keep Calm and Carry On

trainmainbrian

Quote from: jbrock27 on March 06, 2014, 12:15:41 PM
dwd, re: your Athearn RTR locos: to my knowledge, they should not have any wires or connections factory installed for DCC conversion.  It would be very easy to do, if you so chose down the road.  Lots of YouTube and internet information out there on how to accomplish that by isolating the motor from the frame.
The shell should be very easy to remove to gain access to the inside.  Did yours come with a blow up diagram?  What models are your Athearn RTRs?  Removing couplers to replace should be as easy as loosening a screw or popping off a coupler cover, depending on the model.  Same with the trucks, you should be able to easily pry off the plastic clip at the bottom of each truck, with a small screw driver.  If unsure how to approach this, there are pics and vids out on in the internet on how to get them off.  Once off, it is easy to lube the gears (with grease I would recommend, plastic compatible) and the lube will carry to the worm gears.  If you wanted to lube the worm gears directly, it is easy enough to pry off their covers, but you need to get the shell off.  Any questions, feel free to ask.  I hoped this helped.  I still run DC too ;)

tmb, I have never heard of Bachmann Silver Series locos, but have Silver Series rolling stock.  They make some very nice rolling stock for reasonable prices.

Jbrock - Thanks I just assumed it was from that line up... I Stand Corrected... & learned something new today LOL & I agree Bachmann's Silver Series stuff of rolling stock are pretty good & there rolling stock run's well on my layout I have about 12-15 pieces of Bachmann's Silver Series Rolling Stock I use with no problems 90% of my rolling stock is Walters Mainline Ready to Run...
If your not thinking of Model Railroading each day you must be having a bad day.....& do not leave your mind @ the station...

jbrock27

No problem.  I was not sure if I was missing or overlooking something I might have interest in.
I too like Walthers stuff, the lesser expensive Trainline line, both loco and freight.  I would rank the freight close to the Silver Series stuff, with the Silver Series getting the nod in weight and slightly better detail.
Keep Calm and Carry On