News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Some other guy's steam locomotive product

Started by Dr EMD, October 01, 2007, 04:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMunchkin

but even a diehard Erie fan, if he wanted to operate one of these things (or 3 of them) protypically would have to model that grade that they were used on as they were only run on that one part of the system, and his layout would have to be set in the few years that they were left in service.
Rich- I remember seeing these things in the Blum's Hobby House ads, but maybe the reason that they were advertised for so long was that they were trying to sell out the initial run.(the locomotive I'd like to get from that same time period that was often in the same ad as the Triplex, was the B.&A. Berkshire, the first Berkshire ever made, I wish someone would come out with a modern version of this very sucessful locomotive)

Woody Elmore

I wonder how many B&A berkshires Blum had made? They are definitely a rare item.

The triplex that was operated in our club was definitely one of the first run. Maybe the later runs (if there were any) had better flanges.

I am puzzled over the introduction of really large engines into the H0 market. There must be some prototypes out there that would have a wider appeal than a triplex.

I have often suggested that Bachmann do a Wabash mogul. This small little engine would like on any branchline.

MrMunchkin

I can't imagine how there could be a demand for these things, I don't think they could have come up with a worse locomotive to model if they would have said "let's see now, what locomotive will be the most not in demand locomotive in the history of model trains?" just my own opinion, maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I doubt it.

japasha

I recently inherited a very large amount of three rail O-gauge stock from my uncle. In the years he was acquiring this collection we learned a lot about the marketing practices of MTH. The owner tends to go after what he thinks collectors would want. Large status-eeking locomotives  that there were few of originally. He broke into the O-scale market by offering a UP Challenger back 20 years ago.

I would be cautious about anything indicating limited run as MTH has many time exceeded the number they claim to rake additional profits. The electronics normally used is a pain as the batteries frequently go bad and the sound and control system is incompatible with DCC unless they made a change.

I'm sure the locomotives run well, almost all I have do. Detail is usually minimal or cast-on. Die-cast is not what I'm looking for. Bachmann is using a combination of materials carefully applied to produce a fine running product (Spectrum and some newer standard). Bachmann handles warranty directly, MTH usually wants you to go to a repair station.

I would avoid MTH based on my O-gauge experience. I had to spend far too much time bringing the collection up to running status. My Lionel and Bachman just need to be put on the track and have power applied.

r.cprmier

Woody;
I have a friend who, as a kid, was given a Tenshodo Challenger.  By today's standards, this engine is a f'real bow-wow!  I wouldn't run it on my railroad if it were given me free.  I have a couple of Challengers that have since been done, and they-far and away-eclipse the old 4-6-6-4! 
There will always be an element of sentimentality  in this hobby, largely per memories; in my case, it is New Haven steam and electric; in someone else's case, it is whatever.

I have learned to approach life first as a pragmatist; then as an idealistic dreamer.  This would appear as a somewhat harsh approach, but in my case, it works.  Ted still has his Tenshodo engine , presumably still in it's oak box, and I have a "newer" brass collection-which I do not run at present; it being all narrow-gauge.

As far as LMB's B&A Berkshire, I would opt for a newer one-an A-3, with it's "heavy-browed" look.  They too, bring back memories of Pittsfield and Whistler's Railroad.  Perhaps if we talk real nice to Johann...

Rich

Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

MrMunchkin

is the A3 the last N.Y.C. Berkshire? (and the last steam locomotive Alco made) if it is then it's my second favoriate berkshire (after the B&A one) I'd like one of each

SteamGene

The NYC, per se, had no 2-8-4s to the best of my knowledge.  Mohawks, yes, and Niagras.  Lots of water, but no "mountains."
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Guilford Guy

Well subsidary's P&LE and B&A had "Berkshires"
Alex

Woody Elmore

Thinking about all this I remember I had an LMB wide vision caboose in brass. I think that they specialized in eastern prototypes.

MrMunchkin

The first Berkshires that any road had were the Boston & Albany ones, hence the name Berkshire as they were used to pull trains through the Berkshire mountains, The last steam locomotive built by Alco in 1948 was a Berkshire numbered 9401, built for ...the New York Central I've got a builder's photo right in front of me as I type this, the tender is lettered New York Central System.
The book "The Steam Locomotive In America" that I mentioned in an earlier posting here says on the subject "It is of interest to note that the last to be built by both the American Locomotive company in 1948 and the Lima Locomotive Works in 1949 were 2-8-4 type engines. The former were built for the New York Central with 63-in. drivers and the latter for the Chesapeake & Ohio" This, along with the builders photo is pretty much proof that the N.Y.C. did, in fact, have Berkshires on it's rooster, although probably not for very long as they came along at the very end of steam. These, by the way, are some of the most beautiful looking, modern steam locomotives I have ever seen, I'd love to get a model of one of these, I've never seen any evidence that any brass models were ever imported. I just got a new scanner and I'll try to scan this picture and see if I can post it here.

r.cprmier

Hey Munchie;
S-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h...(don't tell Gene)...

Rich
Rich

Beatle (TrainBrain)

Quote from: RAM on October 01, 2007, 06:25:22 PM
I wonder who will be the first to buy one to run on a 4 by 8 layout.

Me :D.

I was going to put something up here about this, but, ya know, marketing and stuff. :-\

I can't wait to see what M.T.H. will do with it. There's already a video, but it freezes up my computer :P, so, I'd recommend you not watch it :-\.

Their K4 was impressive. Beautiful AND a smoking banshee, but when pulling a train (preferably weighted) uphill on a sicnificant grade, 2 words: Wheel Slip. This only happened once. I had it for about 1 week before taking it to another guy's layout and putting it to the test ;).

But this Triplex looks to be a LOT better! 3 motors, MORE detail, not to mention better pulling power (>duh<). The only real difference from M.T.H.'s locos and, say, Bachmann's locos, are the digital controls.

That's it. Controls. 3-power up/down, 2-whistle, 1-bell, 6-mute, 8-smoke on/off, and a bunch of others. I keep hear things about "DCC problems", I haven't had ANY.

Anyways, I do intend to get a (some) Triplexes. At the moment, my layout is a 4x8, with and 2ft wide river, another 4x4, and an 11ft. yard. For now ;). I'm in the process of planning a bigger layout (about 4-5 times the size now) and upgrading to a 20x22ft. layout. ;D

Internet All-Beatles radio: http://beatlesarama.com
All you need is love and trains
Ringo Starr: 6/28/08
SC&NY Status: Drawing board, but getting closer!
-Chris

r.cprmier

Woody;
I do not believe the tooling cost to be a legitimate issue here.  Anyone with a bit of production experience can tell you that it certainly will be about the same costs, as material isn't going to be that different, and the amount of time to create the dies, tooling, etc is going to pretty much be par for the course when it comes to producing a smaller engine V. a larger one.

Like you, Sheldon, Bob, and others here, I will sit and ponder [the] companies' logic when it comes to marketing strategy.  Maybe they are correct; after all, I am assuming that they have done their DD in the marketing sector, and at least have a working knowledge af who wants what.  To do otherwise is, to my way of thinking, cutting your own throat.

Anyway, I am just an electrician, not a marketing strategist, so I will choose not to cast stones; and, instead, just watch the horizon.

RIch 
Rich

Atlantic Central

Rich,

I may or may not cast a stone now and then about this issue of which products these guys choose to make. BUT, I keep voting with my pocket book.

I have not bought, from any of them, a:

Big Boy
K4
Challenger
GG1
2-10-anything
N&W "J"
any 4-8-4 w/80" drivers (UP FEF, SP GS4)

nor do I want a 2-8-8-8-2.

I have bought:

5 Bachmann 2-8-0's
5 Bachmann Heavy 4-8-2's
2 Bachmann 4-6-0's
3 Bachmann 2-6-6-2's
1 Mantua Classic 0-6-0
1 Mantua 4-4-2
2 Athearn 2-8-2's
1 Proto 0-8-0
2 Proto 2-8-8-2's
1 Riv 2-6-6-6
1 BLI 2-6-6-4
2 PCM Reading 4-8-4's

See, even my big locos are east coast, short rigid wheelbase, not all these west coast monsters they keep doing over and over.

So I hope they get it soon. I'm still hoping for some decent Pacifics, a modern 10 wheeler and some variaty in the Mike department.

I'm going to take a close look at the new IHC Pacfics and Mikes with the RP25 wheels. Could be a good base for a detailing project. Maybe the Pacific can become the Western Maryland Pacific I need.

Sheldon

Woody Elmore

My comment about tooling was meant to imply that the cost of tooling isn't an issue.

I would guess they did some market analysis - in New Jersey and Pennsylvania! If I were on the marketing team I'd look into on of the SP cab forwards. I'm sure there would be more demand.

There is obviously interest in smaller engines. I think most of the USRA types have been done but there is the whole gamut of Harriman controlled railroads.

PFM had a big seller when it imported the United Santa Fe 2-8-0. That would be really nice to see in HO. I believe they also brought in a B&O consolidation.