News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Some other guy's steam locomotive product

Started by Dr EMD, October 01, 2007, 04:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickmartin

While I am a Pennsy fan I think another K4 is a waste of effort. An E6 atlantic (or any other prototype) would be nice. As for the TriPlex, years ago when I worked the Model RR dept. in a good sized LHS one of my custormers lusted for a Baldwin centipede diesel that some brass importer had announced. As far as I can remember only PRR, Seaboard, and NdeM had them. This customer modeled Seaboard Air Line and so I ordered it for him. For a 1970's vintage brass diesel it ran quite well (I test ran it just to "check it out"). He came in, paid for it and took it home. Did a fanstastic SAL paint and decal job on it and then put it on his layout. Turns out he had a beautifully decaled and painted mantlepiece display. Far as I know he stilll has it in a showcase on his desk down at the bank. For those few who buy the TriPlex (if its actually offered) all I can say is have a nice plexiglass display case ready for it---Rick Martin
PRR Man

Beatle (TrainBrain)

Quote from: TrainBrain on October 05, 2007, 09:38:19 AM

I can't wait to see what M.T.H. will do with it. There's already a video, but it freezes up my computer :P, so, I'd recommend you not watch it :-\.

Never mind, it was just my computer, feel free to watch it over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over.

Internet All-Beatles radio: http://beatlesarama.com
All you need is love and trains
Ringo Starr: 6/28/08
SC&NY Status: Drawing board, but getting closer!
-Chris

r.cprmier

I would guess they did some market analysis - in New Jersey and Pennsylvania! If I were on the marketing team I'd look into on of the SP cab forwards. I'm sure there would be more demand.

Woody;
BLI is bringing out a brass A-3 Cab Foward.  Check the price-sitting down!
This is why I will no further buy brass.

I hope to see some action on these pacifics they had touted a while back. 
They have advertised a New Haven I-5, in both brass and in die-cast (white metal).  They are looking for reservations.  I will wait for "Trainworld" to toss their hat into the ring.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Beatle (TrainBrain)

M.T.H. is supposed to make 5 other locos in HO next year (source: Model Railroader), but they weren't annouced yet.

-Chris

MrMunchkin

Rich...as far as BLI is concerned, I now take all their product announcements with a grain of salt, I'm still waiting for my P.R.R. 2-10-0 (I know that it is from P.C.M., but they're the same company) that was supposed to be out over a year (or two) ago. They need to start announcing less and work on getting the models they've already announced out. They make excellent products but what good are they if they don't really exist beyond magazine ads?

r.cprmier

Munchie;
Yep...Sad but true.  This is why I said I will wait for "Trainworld" to toss their hat into the ring; then I will know it is a real thing and not just some apparitional B.S.!

Rich
Rich

Beatle (TrainBrain)

-Chris

Frisco_Manny

Hi guys,

I've been reading this with much interest and have been following MTH's web site on the triplex. They now have a video of her in action. Yes, the HO model in action, and if you click on one of the engine numbers, you get all the details. They state the model is all metal and will run on 22 inch radius curves. It doesn't look bad going around 22 inch radius. Really.

Now, I am not a big fan of big huge steam, not because of the locomotive per say, but because I'm not a fan of Union Pacific and that's all that is thrown up now a days. I am eagerly awaiting this unit to get one. It's so unique it's well in line with the asking price. I just wish that they offered an undecorated version. If not, I'll just have to paint over the ERIE.

Check out the video!

Manny

Beatle (TrainBrain)

I stated the vid here:

Quote from: TrainBrain on October 05, 2007, 09:07:05 PM
Quote from: TrainBrain on October 05, 2007, 09:38:19 AM

I can't wait to see what M.T.H. will do with it. There's already a video, but it freezes up my computer :P, so, I'd recommend you not watch it :-\.

Never mind, it was just my computer, feel free to watch it over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over.

But the radius info is new! ;D

-Chris

Orsonroy

Quote from: r.cprmier on October 03, 2007, 10:22:15 PM
Hey Munchie;
S-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h...(don't tell Gene)...

Rich

Don't tell him what? That he's right?

The NEW YORK CENTRAL did not have any 2-8-4s on their roster. The B&A and P&LE were SEPERATE RAILROADS. The odd corporate structuring of the NYC included the two railroads (along with about a dozen others) as part of the New York Central SYSTEM of RAILROADS, but they were completely seperate entities, both from an operational and from a taxable standpoint.
Ray Breyer
Modeling the NKP's Peoria Division, 1949

r.cprmier

Orsonroy;
My intent was that of humour.  Don't be such a nitpicker; you'll ruin my day.

Rich
Rich

Orsonroy

Quote from: r.cprmier on October 09, 2007, 01:46:37 PM
Orsonroy;
My intent was that of humour.  Don't be such a nitpicker; you'll ruin my day.

Rich

Sorry Rich. It's sometimes (usually?) difficult to gauge sarcasm online.
Ray Breyer
Modeling the NKP's Peoria Division, 1949

David Meashey

Just wanted to chime in concerning NYC 2-8-4s.  I have the following book in my collection: The Steam Locomotive in America by Alfred W. Bruce, copyright 1952, Bonanza Books.  I purchased this book in the mid-1960s, while I was in college.  $3.00 on the bargain book table at a bookstore in downtown Lancaster, PA, if I remember correctly.

Between pages 276 and 277 are 168 photos of various steam locomotives.  Photo 166 shows the last Alco steam locomotive, built in 1948.  It is New York Central System number 9401.  It is a 2-8-4 type, and the tender bears New York Central System along its side.  Near the top of the coal bunker are smaller letters "P&LE" and perhaps "RR."  They are very hard to read due to the size of the photo, and a magnifying glass is of little help.  This difference in the lettering may answer why there is some confusion as to the ownership of these locomotives. 

The locomotive is very modern looking with an all-weather cab, and domes and a stack that bearly rise above the top of the boiler.  The stats include: BP - 230psi, cylinders 26"X32", tractive effort 67,100 lb, and an engine weight of 426,000 lb.  It must have been spectacular to see in operation.  Sadly, I wonder if it had a service life of even 10 years.

Hope this helps,
David Meashey

Mark Damien

Well, I'm going out on a limb here & saying I'm getting one.

They're not that big, really. The Triplex is actually shorter than an ATFS 4-8-4 #37xx. The BLi N&W A class, Proto 2-8-8-2's, & Hornby/Riva's 2-6-6-6 dwarf the rather diminutive Triplex.

I was never really interested in Erie, but since the MTH announcement, I have had a closer look & found Bachmann make an Erie, 2-10-0, & their Consolidation is close enough to convert. Bli makes the Heavy Mikado, so there is a good variety of locos to model. So Bachmann has already profited from MTH's choice, & Bli will when they release the Erie Mikado. At least I'll be kept busy in the Engine shop until early 2008.

Like the rest of you, I would love a non-PRR pacific, Atlantic,& early 4-4-0, & that's just scraping the surface.

I know the general view of Model Railroading is to choose a Road & model it, but I just love the engineering, be it a masterpiece or wonderful disaster; & the Triplex was just that!

While researching the Erie thing, I looked into the DMIR. Bachmann makes the DMIR 2-10-2, & their Ten wheeler & Consolidation are candidates for conversion to that Road. If MTH would only make a Yellowstone to go with them :)

Cheers.
Even if the prototypes never existed, someone would have created Model Trains anyway.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark

SteamGene

Again, the key is "per se."  The  New York Central and the New York Central System were, as stated, two different things.  That last Berkshire was for the Pittsburg and Lake Erie, which was part of the New York Central System, but not part of the New York Central. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"