Nickel Plate Road - 50'6" Drop End Gondola w/ Tire Load - What Era?

Started by Wrath of Wotan, March 12, 2014, 09:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrath of Wotan

Can anyone tell us what era the Nickel Plate Road - 50'6" Drop End Gondola w/ Tire Load is dated for?  Hoping it will work in the Transition Era.  Thanks in advance!  ;D
Some ya win, and some ya lose
some ya just can't tell...
Some they will, and some they won't
some it's just as well...     Ron

Joe Satnik

Dear Ron,

I think I see "BLT 1-44" stenciled on the side in the online catalog picture.

NKP historical society says Gondola 66048 built 7-44.

http://nkphts.org/rosters/freight/gondolas.html

Not sure how long a gondola lasts before it is beat up beyond recognition and/or scrapped.   

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

richg

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

RAM

BLT 1-44" 30 year life of the car.  It could have lasted to 12-73

richg

Quote from: Joe Satnik on March 12, 2014, 10:35:51 PM
Rich,

Ha.  Beat you to it. 

This time, at least.

Joe

Lol. I took a lot of time reading about the Nickle Plate. I get easily dis-trackted when searching for info. My brain installs a turnout.

Rich

Wrath of Wotan

Some ya win, and some ya lose
some ya just can't tell...
Some they will, and some they won't
some it's just as well...     Ron

jward

freight cars of  that era were permitted in interchange service for up to 40 years. with a built date of 1944, it definitely saw service in the transition era, which pretty much ran from the end of ww2 to about 1958.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ebtnut

The "transition era" is a bit elastic.  While 1958 makes some sense, being as the B&O and PRR were out of the steam business by then, some folks cite May of 1960 when the N&W finally dropped the fires.  That point counts for heavy duty main line steam, though a case could also be made that the era goes to 1967 when the D&RGW finally pulled the plug on their narrow gauge operations.  Then there is the UP, which has always had at least one steamer on the roster since the beginning in the 1860's.