News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC adjusting speed

Started by atrain, March 07, 2014, 05:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

atrain

I just purchased a spectrum dcc 0-6-0.  I have a NCE control system.  I was able to enter the default address and get the engine operating.  I immediately noticed that the engine was slugish in response to the throttle.  I entered "programming on the main" and assigned the engine a new address.  I then entered the new address and the engine responded.  I then returned to the programming on main and changed the speed steps to 28.  There was no change.  I then tried 14 speed steps.  Again, no difference.  I'm not sure what else to do and would appreciate your wisdom.

jward

will it let you read the values for cv 2 to cv 6?

those are the main ones that control the speed characteristics.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

atrain

I went into the cv's you suggested and made changes but I did not see the improvement I am looking for.  Another search through the shipping box revealed not information on the decoder.  So, I searched the Bachmann website and found documentation listing out cv's.  Now that I had a road map I adjusted CV 2 to 0 and then set CV 3 & 4 to 1.  After these adjustments the motor will hum at speed step 1 but it is not till speed step 20 that the engine really moves.  Then in speed steps 20-28 the engine performs as I would like.
If the literature I printed for the 'DCC on Board' is correct I see not way to adjust the speed curve.  Is this correct?  Or, is my thinking flawed and there is another adjustment I should make?  My goal is for this engine to respond like all my other engines.  I have engines from many different manufacturers including some I have installed decoders in.  All of them respond the same way except this new addition.  I want to have the ability to add this engine to a consist but at this point the speed curve would be an issue.

jward

cv5 controls max voltage, and cv6 controls mid voltage. if the top speed is too low, try raising the value of cv5, if the loco runs too slow at half throttle, try raising cv6.

some Bachmann dcc on board locos do not support cv5 and cv6. if this is the case with yours, you may want to replace the decoder with one that supports these cvs.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

atrain

I appreciate the information.  The dcc onboard cv list i printed out from the website only listed a few cvs.  And your information is different.  Is there a way I could get a better detailed list of cv's for the new spectrum 0-6-0 decoder?  I will adjust cv 5 see if that gets me the correct results.

jward

for non sound decoders, all cvs should conform to nmra specs.

here is the actual nmra standards:
http://www.nmra.org/standards/sandrp/pdf/S-9.2.2_2012_10.pdf
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

WoundedBear

I'm with Jeff on this one. All the non-sound Bachmann decoders I have played with, did not support CV 5 and 6. NMRA even lists 5 and 6 as optional CV's.

Sid

atrain

thank for the pdf.  I wish my grasp of techno was more fluent.  If i might bother you experts again, what numbers would I enter into cv 2 & 3 if i want the engine to respond at speed step one and accelerate equally to speed 14 or 28?

electrical whiz kid

Hi; Not so sure I am following, but if the four basic wires-two for the motor, and two feeders are hooked up right, then whose locomotive and/or type should be more or less irrelevant, as long as the terminals on the decoder are for motor and feeders.  Most can motors should work with any decoder, given it is correctly wired into the board.  I am far from being boy genius with this stuff, but I would like to know if I am following this correctly.
Rich C.

jward

Quote from: atrain on March 16, 2014, 09:39:08 AM
thank for the pdf.  I wish my grasp of techno was more fluent.  If i might bother you experts again, what numbers would I enter into cv 2 & 3 if i want the engine to respond at speed step one and accelerate equally to speed 14 or 28?

cv2 should be set for whatever value barely causes the locomotive to move. cv3 does not control anything but how quickly the locomotive accelerates. the higher the value the slower the acceleration. the speed curve should be even by default, but that would be more controlled by cv6.

one mod I often do with Bachmann locomotives without a flywheel is to reset cv4. if cv4 is 0 then anytime the locomotive hits a dead spot it will stop. I've also had them stop and start when descending grades with a heavy train. resetting cv4 to 3 seems to clear these problems up and make the loco behave more like my flywheel ones.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

AGSB

Just a question for thought. You state you just purchased a 0-6-0. Is this a brand new loco or was it used? If new, have you followed the instructions and broken it in, i.e. ran it forward for approx 1/2 hour and then run it in reverse for another ~1/2 hour? If it's new it may just be tight and needs loosening up.

HDiedrichs

Quote from: AGSB on March 16, 2014, 12:47:50 PM
Just a question for thought. You state you just purchased a 0-6-0. Is this a brand new loco or was it used? If new, have you followed the instructions and broken it in, i.e. ran it forward for approx 1/2 hour and then run it in reverse for another ~1/2 hour? If it's new it may just be tight and needs loosening up.

Yes I would add did you clean it or clean the track. I have an 0-6-0 steam switcher and its sluggish and took a few cleanings before it would run smooth. Still stalls on turn outs.