News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

c19 pheonix sound question

Started by bob kaplan, February 22, 2014, 01:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob kaplan

Hi....hope someone might have some suggestions with this.   First of all....i did call PHOENIX twice about my concerns and their two comments were:  (1)Power supply was not adequate (2) i have done something wrong.  No solution was suggested.

The engines are track powered and the boards are pb11's.  i THOUGHT i followed the directions on PHOENIX cite.  But these are a first attempt for me and it looks like I have done something wrong....but can figure out what.

When under load and well above and well below 8 volts, the engines runs fine.  But just below and just above (and at 8V) they (same thing with two of these C-19) draw fluctuating current from 1.3 to 1.7 amps approx. per wheel rotation.  As a result the engine "lurches" during this narrow range.

If I remove the batteries, they run fine at all voltages.  Attach the batteries back in and the engines lurch again.  Of course the simple answer is to leave out the batteries, but then there is not sound at very low voltages.

There are Phoenix sound systems in other engines (2-8-2) on my track powered layout...and Sierra sound as well.   Those engines show no problems.  I installed the Sierra but not the Phoenix in the 2-8-2s.

It's obvious I know little of electricity and probably made myself as clear as mud.....but any suggestions as how to eliminate the "lurching" at 8 would be appreciated.   Thank you

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Bob,

It has to be related to the onboard battery circuit if the loco's work fine with no battery.   I now only use P-8's since mine is battery powered both for sound an propulsion.  Is there any possibility that you have reversed the polarity in the battery circuit?   It is only a guess on my part.  It seems to me that the P11 battery charging circuit kicks in at or around that voltage and it may causing the problem.  Again only a guess, but I can't think of anything else right now, I would definitely look carefully and the wiring for the battery, as one way or the other that is where the problem lies.  If you are using the external charging jack and the charging circuit, this is where many of the problems seem to occur.

Hope it helps.

Bill 
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

grsman

Bob
Do you have the chuff sensors hooked up?
If you do, disconnect them and see if that makes any difference.
Tom

bob kaplan

....Tom, that of course would eliminate the cuff sound of the engine, leaving only bell and whistle....and eliminating it would serve what purpose?....Just trying to  understand the reasoning.  Thanks for your input!!

grsman

Bob
I wanted to make sure that there was not something to do with the chuff connections causing a problem.
Chuff connections do not always provide the correct output for all different sound cards. You said the problem
was every revolution of the wheels. The chuff circuit operates every revolution of the wheels.
It won't hurt anything to try it. The chuff should be easy to disconnect.
Tom

bob kaplan

yup.....thank you Tom.   I will give it a try....but the "effect" only approximates the rotation....not exactly coordinated with it....but I will give it a try!....Thank you.
bob

Chris9017

Rather than dealing with the built in chuff on my C-19, I just mounted a reed switch on a tender truck bar, and mounted 2 magnets on one of the tender axles on the front truck.  I normally always mount the chuff mechanism on the tender truck because I know how reliable that trick is, and I didn't want to risk problems with the circuit board. 

I hope this helps. 

Chris.

StanAmes

Quote from: Chris9017 on March 13, 2014, 01:51:46 AM
Rather than dealing with the built in chuff on my C-19, I just mounted a reed switch on a tender truck bar, and mounted 2 magnets on one of the tender axles on the front truck.  I normally always mount the chuff mechanism on the tender truck because I know how reliable that trick is, and I didn't want to risk problems with the circuit board. 

I hope this helps. 

Chris.

The C19 is designed to work effortlessly with the Phoenix sound system.  Simply connect the power and DCC wires,

For the chuff simply connect the one chuff wire from the Phoenix to the C19 chuff output.  Since there is a chuff sensor in each cylinder you can set the square of the locomotive to be whatever cadence you desire.  As delivered it is in square.

Stan