News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Power pack & moisture

Started by SteveWard3928, March 08, 2014, 02:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveWard3928

We have locomotives that can run in the rain and push snow out of the way.  Has anyone run across a power pack that is moisture resistant or "water proof".  Seems to me whoever can make a power pack that could survive a rain shower would make some serious money.  I came close today of my 10 amp transformer getting wet.  The darn thing cost me $225, so my heart skipped a beat. Does anyone have their power pack inside  a box or enclosure that prevents it from getting wet?  If so can you post a photo of it?   :-\
S&S

Gonna get blamed for it...you might as well do it!!

mickeykelley

Mine is in a closet inside the house.  I then ran the wires thru conduit to the track. Had no idea 21 years ago when the cement was poured that I would do an outdoor layout, but I had several "just in case conduits" put in.  One just happened to work out perfect.

Chuck N

My power supply is outside most of the time.  It only comes in when I leave town for an extended, multi-day trip.  I always have a large plastic tub inverted over it to protect it from rain and snow.  There is also a 2' length of 4x4 on top of the tub to hold it in place.  I have a Bridgewerks power supply with a separate remote control unit.  I rarely have to take the tub off.  I just unplug the power cord to the unit at the house when I'm not running.  I have been using this set up for more than 10 years in Virginia.  A fairly damp climate.

The power supply is under the blue/grey box about half way up the right side of the picture.

Hanging from the post next to the power supply is the power cable.  On that cable is an oval yellow object.  That is a "ground fault circuit breaker".  The plug at the house also has one.

The power units are holding up well.  There is a little rust on the frame that protects the cooling fan.

Chuck