News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

F7 noises

Started by leadsleader, March 07, 2014, 02:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leadsleader

I have 2 f7 a and b units that I purchased several years ago. from the get go when I ran them there was a clicking noise as they run around the track. I tried to figure it out and narrowed it down to the gears in the trucks. I sent them into bauchman and for the first few times run fine.  the noise has returned and is very loud. when I switch directions it changes pitch or dulls down.  does anyone have a cure?

Jerrys HO

leader,

This is a new one. I have never heard of this on the F units. I own 2 A and B units and they are quiet.
Quotedoes anyone have a cure?
Only if we knew what was making the noise. What I would recommend is to remove the shell, place the frame in a vise with the wheels free to spin then take a set of test wires with alligator clips on them and connect to the motor leads and a 9 volt battery and watch the gears to pinpoint the clicking to which truck is making the noise or it could be the drive shaft. If it's in the trucks they come apart fairly easy so you can inspect the gears. You may have a gear that was not molded right and have a tab catching on another gear. Easily fixed by filing the piece off.

Jerry

trainmainbrian

Quote from: leadsleader on March 07, 2014, 02:00:55 PM
I have 2 f7 a and b units that I purchased several years ago. from the get go when I ran them there was a clicking noise as they run around the track. I tried to figure it out and narrowed it down to the gears in the trucks. I sent them into bauchman and for the first few times run fine.  the noise has returned and is very loud. when I switch directions it changes pitch or dulls down.  does anyone have a cure?

I would try lubing the Gears on the Trucks the Grease might be dried up... I would try that...
If your not thinking of Model Railroading each day you must be having a bad day.....& do not leave your mind @ the station...

jward

jerry is right.

clicking noises are often caused by either a cracked gear, usually on the axle. or possibly some grit in the gears. lubing will solve neither problem.

what I would do is to carefully remove the worm gears from each truck, then remove the truck from the chassis. it should freewheel on the track at this point. if you feel any binds, carefully take the truck apart and inspect the gear teeth for grit in them. clean if necessary, and put it back together. once you've found and corrected the problem, then you lube the truck, not before.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jerrys HO

Jeff,

Quotewhat I would do is to carefully remove the worm gears from each truck, then remove the truck from the chassis. it should freewheel on the track at this point. if you feel any binds, carefully take the truck apart and inspect the gear teeth for grit in them. clean if necessary, and put it back together. once you've found and corrected the problem, then you lube the truck, not before.

I have to admit that sounds a lot easier than my way :P.

Leader you will find the screw holding the truck  right above the truck once you have the shell off.

Jerry