Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Engine Noise

Started by janedoedad, March 09, 2014, 11:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

janedoedad

Quote from: Doneldon on March 11, 2014, 06:54:30 PM
Is the second from the top left DOA or noisy?  -- D

Mistake on my part, the DOA engine is not in the picture.  I took some pictures, moved things and took more pictures.  Didn't match my notes with the right pics. 

Second from top left is the one (Mantua) that has the stalling issue going forward.  Seems to run just fine in reverse.
The Liver is Evil and Must Be Punished!

jbrock27

I wonder if that might be a brush issue for that one, but don't know how you would get to it (the brush).  Could be from it being run forward a lot more often than in reverse, which is why it is ok in reverse.
Keep Calm and Carry On

janedoedad

Pulled apart a few gear boxes last night and found a cracked gears.  It will be a fun project to cannibalize parts and see if I can fix these.  Looks like I can buy the parts here if I need to.

So far as the stalling engine goes, will use a little compressed air on the motor, clean the armature and go from there.

jbrock27

If you can see/get to where the brushes are, it might be worth the while to try dabbing a little Conducta Lube on them or some Wahl Clipper oil on them.  Small, small amount, like at the end of  toothpick or end of a small size paperclip bent straight.
Keep Calm and Carry On

janedoedad

I will try that.  Thanks.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

JNXT 7707

Sorry I'm a little late to the thread - yes the 'clacking like a picket fence' is usually a dead giveaway of cracked gears somewhere. Keep in mind one man's 'junk' is another mans jewels, and I have always taken great joy in coaxing these old warriors back to life. It does take some ingenuity, perseverance and patience. AND, in the last resort, these old Bachmanns with the pancake drive convert to GREAT dummy units - they roll better far better than any Athearn dummy unit I have ever had and respond well to additional details, and will accept current Bachmann sideframes.
So an excellent buy I think.
Jerry

Modeling the JNXT RR from its headquarters in Buzzardly, Texas.
Future home of the National C-Liner Museum.

jbrock27

It makes all the sense they would roll with less effort, they're much lighter.
Keep Calm and Carry On

JRG1951

Follow the link:

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_91&products_id=4398

Regards John *****************************

I never drink water; that is the stuff that rusts pipes. <> W. C. Fields

janedoedad

Thanks Much!

Having fun and learning things while working on these.  Some will end up in the donation section when I am done.

JDD

Desertdweller

JDD,

That picture gave me an idea.

If you have a loco with plenty of room inside, you could wire up two of those motor/truck assemblies to make a dual-powered locomotive.

Les

Irbricksceo

Indeed you could, what that would make is a Locomotive that runs slower but produces more pulling force, good idea for pullers IMO, similar to Double Heading Steamers
Modeling NYC in N

rogertra

Quote from: Desertdweller on March 18, 2014, 10:16:20 PM
JDD,

That picture gave me an idea.

If you have a loco with plenty of room inside, you could wire up two of those motor/truck assemblies to make a dual-powered locomotive.

Les

So you'd end up with a poorly detailed, poorly motored locomotive?

Why bother?

Cheers

Roger.

jward

you'd still have to deal with the poor operating characteristics caused by the rubber traction tyres and poor electrical pickup.

keep this in mind: when a tyred locomotive slips, the wheels tend to bounce themselves off the track. if the motors are not close in speed, one will be slipping the wheels.  
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA