News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Power pack

Started by fhenn, April 16, 2014, 09:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhenn

I assume that the standard power pack that comes with the sets will need to be upgraded to handle switches that I bought, any suggestions

Chuck N

Many starter set power supplies will barely run a locomotive and a couple of cars.  They are usually rated at 1amp output or less.  Think about what type of trains you want to run in the future.  When planning power requirements I figure 1 amp per motor.  Mallets and most diesels have two motors.  That's two amps.  Smoke and sound will require more power.  Lights in cars, powered from the track add to the power draw.  My USAt streamliners need 0.5 amps per car for lights.  

Many of us recommend a 10 amp supply, as a minimum.  I use Bridgewerks.  They are on the expensive side, but they are very reliable.  There are other supplies on the market.

The power supply in a starter set is usually suitable for a test track on a work bench, so it isn't a total loss. Because you aren't running it very long and aren't pulling cars.

Chuck

Joe Satnik

Dear fhenn,

Do you mean track switches, as in turnouts?

What brand and model number "switch" did you buy?

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Chuck N

Switch machines are a momentary pulse.  If your power supply puts out enough voltage, you should be OK. 

In the long run you will most likely need additional power, that is what I was addressing.

Chuck

fhenn

Thank you both, The switches are LGB, and every time I have won track they have come with switches. Now have a controller coming for these. The problem is It makes me re consider the layout and it gets bigger. ::). I thought that was the case on power packs. Not use to this stuff. For years had American flyer and the Lionel KZ transformers.

Bucksco

The power packs that are supplied with Bachmann starter sets are just that - a good starting point. If your layout grows considerably larger you should consider aquiring a larger power pack. The suggestion above about Bridgewerks power packs is a good one - highly recommended.

fhenn

What about the tech II line

Joe Satnik

Dear fhenn,

If you have LGB 1201/12010 type turnout motors, (2 terminals, orange dot/white dot),

you need to supply a momentary DC pulse, (+) polarity for one points position/route direction, (-) polarity for the other.

The following schematic full-wave rectifies AC into DC with 2 diodes.  

Note the MOMENTARY SPDT (center off) electrical switch to supply the pulse.  

You could just take straight DC from your Bachmann G starter power pack through a momentary switch:

power pack track output terminal (1)___________________ \___________________ 1201 (orange dot)
                                                                     l            SPST Momentary
(Use direction switch, turn up throttle)                  l
                                                                   North Rail

____________________________1201 (white dot)
power pack track output terminal (2)____________/  
                                                            SPDT    _____
                                                                              l
                                                                              l
                                                                            South Rail

SPST connection to 1201  must be momentary.  Continuous connection will burn up the motors.

SPDT (normal single pole double throw)  chooses between loco control and turnout control.  

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Edit: Bold added to last 2 lines.

Edit2: Changed "red dot" to "orange dot"

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Joe Satnik

fhenn,

If your  controller is an LGB 5075 or 50750, the above diagrammed circuitry is inside the controller box. 

All you need to do is connect an AC source to the input of the controller box,

and connect switch #1's orange dot output to the 1201's orange dot,

and the white dot from switch #1's output to the 1201's white dot.

Turnout motors 2 thru 4 can be added later to switch outputs 2 - 4.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

fhenn

I found a MKC 6200 power pack that has good amps, for 100.00 It is on the way. I think this will do the job until I build up the money once more. I think I have spent 700.00 this month on track switches controller,s Track joiners of these I have 110 of them  I have two bags of Crushed stone I got from Lowes looks usable. The only chicken grit I could find so far is oysters. Thank you for all of your help

chieffan

For your ballast you might try your local feed store for a product called Traction Grit.  It is designed for use on sidewalks, etc. when it is ice covered or snow packed.  The #2 Medium is about 3/16" size and is crushed granite stone in a deep red color.   Comes in 50 lb. bags.  Has very little dust and works great for track side ballast. 

Roger
Chieffan