News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann DCC 0-6-0 ?

Started by artguy, March 10, 2014, 05:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artguy

I just bought THE NEW AND LATEST version of Bachmann 0-6-0 steam switcher with "DCC". I took out everything from the tender which was the 3 flat weights, and the "tender/chassis" attachment post. The tender is completely hollow now. I would like to install a Tsunami 750 "micro" sound decoder in this engine. I'll have NO problem putting the decoder and speaker in the tender. All the 7 wires for this decoder are already hooked up to the decoder (about 6" long). I plan to run these wires through a hole in the front of the tender (1/8" dia.) into another hole in the back of the engine (1/8" dia.). I then plan to cover all these wires with a piece of heat shrink tubing, from the tender to the engine. What I'm wondering now is: Will I be able to hook up the 7 decoder wires, to the "inside" of the engine? Here again, it's Bachmann's latest, 2014 version of this 0-6-0 switcher, AND IT COMES EQUIPPED WITH DCC. I know with their pre-DCC 0-6-0 switcher, hooking up this decoder to it wasn't feasible. I'm hoping that with this new one, it is. Is there anyone out there (including BACHMANN) who can answer my question? Thanks!  -artguy

richg

What scale? There a forums for each scale. Easy to see.
Just follow the instructions on the decoder package to see where each wire is used. very easy.
I put a decoder in the Bachmann HO 0-6-0 Plymouth switcher.
The tender needs metal wheels and pick-ups. You will nee ALL wheels picking up DCC power.
Make sure the motor contacts are isolated.
Sounds like you have DCC experience if you are trying to DCC this particular loco so it should not be difficult.

Rich

AGSB

Will those 7 wires covered in heat shrink tubing be flexible enough to allow the engine and tender to operate without derailing?

richg

Quote from: AGSB on March 10, 2014, 06:58:03 PM
Will those 7 wires covered in heat shrink tubing be flexible enough to allow the engine and tender to operate without derailing?

I agree.
I have a few Bachmann steamers that had some tubing around the wires and I cut them out for more flex.
Only six wires needed.
This tender is quite small for DCC and sound. Looks like plastic wheels for the picture. You need metal wheels. You need all wheel pickups for DCC.
A 28mm speaker and 750 will be a tight fit. You will need weight in the tender also or the tender will not track. Other steam users here have found that out with the Spectrum steamer tenders.
There will be a decoder stuffed into the loco somewhere that you should remove.
I looked at the diagram page but did not see a decoder in the 0-6-0 with tender.

Rich

artguy

Rich, I'm quite sure that the Tsunami MICRO decoder and the speaker will fit fine in the 0-6-0 tender. I put 2 Kaydee all metal "archbar" trucks on the tender so that problem with metal trucks with DCC is solved. I didn't know about the metal contacts on the wheels for DCC, so I'll have to buy a few off Ebay. I'll need one pickup for each truck, right? What wire leads do I solder to them? With the weight issue, I can probably use 2 of the 3 weights that came with the tender. Here again, because I'd be using a Tsunami "MICRO" decoder in the tender, I'm sure that there'd be ample room. I'm still curious to know if there is any problem hooking up the decoder to the motor. Backman claimes in the instructions that the engine comes with a "can" motor. I know this is the better motor for hooking up DCC. Who knows, maybe I'll be the first one to accomplish this Tsunami feat. It would sure be the TOTAL package if I did, with smoke and sound, in such a small engine! Thanks Rich!  -artguy

CNE Runner

This is to Rich - I read, in a previous post, that you put a decoder in the Bachmann Plymouth WDT switcher (which is incorrectly labeled "MDT")...how did you solve the poor power pick up of this model? As it comes from the factory, the Plymouth uses wheel>axle>frame method of transferring electrical power from the rail to the motor. In the best of circumstances, this is hit and miss (one of the reasons my beloved Plymouth sits on a shelf and I exclusively use my Bachmann GE 45-Ton). As you have mentioned, DCC is very 'picky' when it comes to power; I would think the Plymouth would be a 'bear' to keep running...heck, I had troubles on DC. Inquiring minds would like to know.

As an aside, this would be an excellent candidate (the Plymouth WDT) for a major upgrade. I can only hope Bachmann will consider this in the future...and I wouldn't mind an HO version of the On30 Whitcomb.

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

richg

Tender truck pickups.

http://www.55n3.org/cars/tender_wipers/

Check Litchfield Station for connectors and #30 wire.

http://www.litchfieldstation.com/xcart/search.php?mode=search&page=1

If you go directly to the loco form the tender with the wires, coat the wires with liquid black vinyl to look like hoses. I did that with my Bachmann and Roundhouse steamers.

Rich

CNE Runner

OK Rich, reading into your last post I have deduced that you installed wheel pick ups on that Bachmann Plymouth MDT/WDT? That seems to make sense. 'Not sure I want to put the expense (or effort) into such an inexpensive model.

Ray

richg

Quote from: CNE Runner on March 13, 2014, 10:44:18 AM
OK Rich, reading into your last post I have deduced that you installed wheel pick ups on that Bachmann Plymouth MDT/WDT? That seems to make sense. 'Not sure I want to put the expense (or effort) into such an inexpensive model.

Ray

Late getting back to you. Missed your question.I used a couple wipers that rest on the rail head. It was a challenge. Mine has the pancake motor with a white plastic housing. Did it just to prove a point. Used a DZ125 decoder which is quite small. Don't remember the current at 12 vdc but less than 750 ma.
I ran the loco as a switcher so not running at 100mph like some do. On DC layouts, some of these cheap locos have to be run kind of fast to get over dirty spots on the track.
I did the DCC install just to prove a point. Not for everyone. The loco does not work very well at switching speeds at times.
For DCC, everything has to be nearly perfect which many new users are not aware of.
Nature of the beast.

Rich

jbrock27

To whom, were you trying to prove a point to, Rich?
Keep Calm and Carry On

richg

Quote from: jbrock27 on March 13, 2014, 01:17:08 PM
To whom, were you trying to prove a point to, Rich?

One or two in the past said the pancake motor would not run under DCC. while not quite as good as with a five pole motor, it did work and acceptable, needed good pick-ups and clean track
I had the time to experiment. I have been experimenting with electronics since I built my first short wave radio in 1955.
Needed fine tuning of the decoder. Normal for many DCC installs.
I figure the OP just wants to see if this will work. Don't forget, Jonathan has done a lot with the 0-6-0. Many consider this loco as toyish.
All part of the fun of model railroading.

Rich

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

CNE Runner

Thanks for the explanation Rich. I wish Bachmann would increase their range of small switching locomotives ('could fill a 'niche' in the hobby). A good start would be a redesign of the Plymouth...making it actually look like the prototype - AND giving it the proper model name (WDT not MDT). The Plymouth could then join the ranks of other excellent running Bachmann switchers as the GE 45-Ton and the GE 44-Ton. After the Plymouth how about offering that neat Whitcomb in HO?

Again, thanks Rich...'always enjoy your posts,
Ray