News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Transmission fluid

Started by Dieselman, March 11, 2014, 09:54:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dieselman

Don't know if anyone else has seen it or tried it but I saw a youtube video where a guy puts a small amount of automatic transmission fluids on his track. He said he does it about every few months and runs his locks over the entire layout and doesn't have to clean the track anymore. I tried it today and was able to run my locks over the entire layout with no dead spots. Seems to work. Anybody tried this. I was impressed

richg

I Googled it. Seems dust dirt can be easily accumulated and picked up, especially by plastic wheels and wheels made with sintered metal, Kadee's for one.
Time will tell.
Yes, some who used ATF did report better operation, for a while.

Rich

rogertra

I have used a product called "Rail Zip" for something like 15 plus years.  It looks and smells like ATF and I have been very pleased with it.  I rarely need to clean my rail.  Mind you, all my rolling stock is equipped with steel wheels, which also helps.

Cheers

Roger.

Dieselman

That's good to know Roger, hindsight being what it is, I got a little worried after I tried it. I put it on the rails then made several passes over each route. My locos were hitting a few dead spots but after putting it on the rails, I ran slowest speeds with my dynamis all around and not one dead spot. Who knew such a thing would work.

bapguy

Model Rail Roader had an article on this a while back. The article was written by one of the staff of the railroad club at the history museum in Tacoma WA.   Joe

West Bound

Has anyone tried graphite on the railheads?  I just read an article about this on Model Railroad Hobbyist Magazine, an on line publication. Here is the link.                          
http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/17181    
- John

jbrock27

Diesel, for a liquid to use in the same manner you are using the ATF fluid, I like to use Wahl Clipper oil because it can also be used in other applciations besides track cleaning.
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

IMHO:  Graphite might work-but not as good as ATF, Rail-Zip, Wahl's et al.  Fluids like ATF will tend to hold crud in suspension, and not let it accumulate on a metal-to-substance basis, thereby allowing the wheel surface to contact a clean metal face.  Graphite will not do that for obvious reasons.  If one compared the resistance of either to the other, then graphite would obviously win out, as it's resistance is about nil.  However; ATF, etc, are mostly petroleum products, therefore might affect the structure of plastic wheels.  Metal is definitely recommended.
Rich C.

Dieselman

That's good info,thanks. A lot of my bachmann cars are older and have plastic wheels. Guess I'll need to update them

oldhhobbyreborn

Many parts inside automatic trannies are plastic...they operate with no ill affects

Doneldon

Quote from: oldhhobbyreborn on March 12, 2014, 09:50:43 PM
Many parts inside automatic trannies are plastic...they operate with no ill affects

Reborn-

True. But it depends on the kind of plastic (there are 1000s) and how it's used. It also depends on the ATF. There are different formulations of automotive lubricants all of the time. That's why the type needed for a specific vehicle is coded on the container. Use the wrong one in your car and you might be looking at a big repair bill and a voided warranty. The same can happen with our models.
                                                                                                                                                                               -- D

jbrock27

Diesel, given the cost involved to buy new trucks, wheelsets, couplers, coupler draft boxes, screws and whatever tools you will need to do the job that you might not already have, you might not find it cost effective to update your old Bachmann rolling stock.
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Reborn; most of the plastics employed in model railcar kits is polystyrene or similar compound; recently, delrin trucks have come into use.  Styrene is very susceptible to the ravages of petroleum products.  Nylon, and other similar products are not as susceptible.

Diesel: appeal plays  a bit of importance in this hobby; does it not?  This is why God made blonds, brunettes and redheads. 

Rich C.

ALCO0001

Quote from: richg on March 11, 2014, 10:04:15 PM
I Googled it. Seems dust dirt can be easily accumulated and picked up, especially by plastic wheels and wheels made with sintered metal, Kadee's for one.
Time will tell.
Yes, some who used ATF did report better operation, for a while.

RICH
Trans fluid depending if your using dextron or old ford type F,type f is gritty and will lightly machine the metal and give traction but the detergents in atf will swell rubber in time ,do not get it on your tires like the sidewall it will soften it if not remove quickly,then swell ,retired mechanic 25 years exp.Good luck,Jack

jbrock27

Staff Sgt., I would opine that old Bachmann rolling stock is most similar to a redhead, a redheaded step child :D
Keep Calm and Carry On