Where can I find info on which DCC decoder goes in a Bachmann engine?

Started by jazzharmonicat, March 15, 2014, 05:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jazzharmonicat

I just acquired a new Bachmann Spectrum N scale SD-45, DCC-ready, item # 82761.
I don't want to take it apart to find out which decoder chip goes into it, because I may want to resell it.
How do I find which decoder chip fits my engine (or any other Bachmann engine)?

skipgear

Bachmann doesn't make anything that takes drop in decoders so you are looking at something like a DZ125, DN135 from digirax or any of the other small solder in decoders from your brand of choice.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

kmcsjr

Here's my favorite reference for locos. As Skipgear says, you will need to do some soldering, but there is more guidance here, than in the product literature.
Spookshow.com 

kmcsjr

Also, im not sure we should be plugging other vendors, but tcs provides great instructions for thier boards. Tcsdcc.com installation instruxtions lists the bmann sd45

richg

Quote from: kmcsjr on March 19, 2014, 04:50:56 PM
Also, im not sure we should be plugging other vendors, but tcs provides great instructions for thier boards. Tcsdcc.com installation instruxtions lists the bmann sd45

Other vendor decoders is not an issue. The NMRA saw to that many years ago.

Rich

TJ

Quote from: skipgear on March 15, 2014, 08:54:45 PM
Bachmann doesn't make anything that takes drop in decoders so you are looking at something like a DZ125, DN135 from digirax or any of the other small solder in decoders from your brand of choice.

Wish they -BACHMANN-  would produce a loco which could take either a drop in Decoder or a hard wire, as they do now. However I prefer the drop in decoders better  mainly due to the ease of them! 

TJ

skipgear

Quote from: TJ on March 23, 2014, 11:20:07 AM
Quote from: skipgear on March 15, 2014, 08:54:45 PM

Wish they -BACHMANN-  would produce a loco which could take either a drop in Decoder or a hard wire, as they do now. However I prefer the drop in decoders better  mainly due to the ease of them!  

TJ

The SD45 is from over 10 years ago. At the time just having DCC compatability was pretty nice. Now everything from Bachmann worth owning comes with DCC from the factory so they aren't really worried about others making decoders for their product.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950