News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Using sensor magnets??

Started by llimhoff, March 16, 2014, 03:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

llimhoff

I have a 2-6-0 Mogul Steam Locomotive, do I need to use a sensor magnet on the engine?  Where would you put it.  I bought a LGB 1705.

Loco Bill Canelos

It might be best to post on a wider focus Large Scale website, this site is about Bachmann Products.  If your 2-6-0 is a Bachmann Locomotive it does not come with sound. 

What little I know is that on LGB 2-6-0 mogul locos equipped with sound, the 1705 magnet you have is used to trigger the reed switches on the locomotive which make the sound.  The magnets are placed on the track not the locomotive to trigger bell and whistle sounds.  Small magnets are also used to trigger the chuff sounds on some locomotives as well but I do not know how the chuff works on LGB Moguls.

Not sure this helps, maybe someone else could help.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Kevin Strong

The LGB 17050 is a magnet, so what you're looking for is the reed switch that gets closed by the magnet as it passes over to trigger the sounds. Most suppliers who sell large scale sound systems will also have reed switches to sell you as well, if they're not included in the sound system kit already. The easiest thing to do with the 2-6-0 would be to attach the reed switches to one of the tender trucks. Put one on the left side of the truck, and one on the right. The magnet in the 17050 is mounted to the side, so as the loco passes over the magnet one way, it will trigger one sound, and as it passes over the opposite way it will trigger the other sound.

Later,

K