News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Davenport Headlight Mod

Started by Joe Zullo, March 07, 2014, 10:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Zullo

I have two B'mann Davenports on the HDRR. I like them both, but the huge headlight on them always annoyed me. It just looks too big! I did a pretty thorough image search online and could not find the prototype for this headlight. I did, however, find many pictures of Davenports with smaller or "built in" headlights. This looked more natural to me so I modified both #1 and #2 to this configuration. While I was at it, I used a much brighter warm white LED. I like it!

Loco Bill Canelos

Worked out well! It sure is a great little loco!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

glennk28

When did B'Man do this one?    gj

Loco Bill Canelos

Glenn,

They came out in 2009.  They were in the catalog from 2009 to 2011. They are 1:20.3 and are the sweetest runners, but they are Standard Line and not Spectrum   Sadly it has not been the greatest seller and it is not likely to be rerun.   There are some great closeout prices if you can still find them.   Trainworld had them for $79, not sure they still have any or at that price.

Cheers & Beers,

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Joe Zullo

Trainworld does indeed have some at $99. I purchased both of mine there a year apart. Act now as their supply is running out. These are well built locos that originally retailed for over $200. They are quite heavy for their size (great tractive power) due to all the metal parts. About the only things that are not metal are the body parts. These units even have ball bearing on all axles.

http://www.trainworldonline.com/search/?bymanufacturer=5334&bycategory=51&byscale=39

glennk28

looks like the ones Accucraft made as D&RGW 50--gj

Joe Zullo

robertalan51

I also have a davenport and am curious as to what year the actual locos were in service, as my garden Rail Road is modeled after a RR in the 30's. Rob

Joe Zullo

The company built small steam locomotives early on; the first gasoline-fueled internal combustion engined locomotive was built in 1924 and the first diesel locomotive in 1927, a 30-short-ton (26.8-long-ton; 27.2 t) diesel-electric for the Northern Illinois Coal Company of Boonville, Indiana.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davenport_Locomotive_Works