News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

50-ton Two Truck Climax

Started by jdlaw75, March 16, 2014, 08:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdlaw75

I have a 50-ton Two Truck Climax which is suffering from a split gear on the lay-shaft.

Does anyone know where I can obtain a replacement gear?

In the parts diagram, it is labelled as 'TRAIN-MT044 *0AG02 *MTS23 0AF05', which I assume is four different numbers for the same part.

The Bachmann store does not list any parts at all for this loco.

Jeff Law
New Zealand

WoundedBear

Jeff............

Yardmaster didn't even bother to look at the diagram. If he had, he would have seen that the parts you require, are not sold by the parts department.

Unfortunately, the only gears they have for the Climax models are for the drivelines....not the internal gearcase. There was a similar problem here a while back from another user. He had tried NWSL and other sources for gears.....no luck.

If you send it in to Bachmann, they will replace it with something else......not a 2 truck Climax. Like others have noted on here in the past, Bachmann seldom fixes anything.... they usually just replace the item.

Your best bet is going to be to find another basket case and hopefully get some donor parts out of it.

Sid

BTW.....I feel your pain. I've been trying to keep a fleet of Climax locos running on my layout for sometime now. Bachmann sent out free gears to anyone with a problem with an ON30 model, but us HO guys had to pay for the parts.

Bucksco

You are correct - I did not look at the diagram. If the customer calls the service department they will work with him to resolve the problem. Sometimes it takes a phone call to resolve certain situations.

738 driver

I bought a 50T 2 truck Spectrum Climax a few years ago. It has suffered from the well-known plastic gear splitting syndrome. It's been back to Bachmann UK 3 times, where new cardan shaft gears & truck lay shaft gears were fitted. Although this model has had very little running & lived mostly in its box or on display, these problems persist. This time, the central gearbox gears spin on their driveshafts. Bachmann UK keep no spares so it's being sent to the US office for repair/replacement.

My question is this:-

Are the current production 3 truck Climaxes any more robust than mine, or can I expect another 'display-only' model in time, if mine is replaced?

jdlaw75

Yardmaster: I appreciate the fact that a phone call may help, but when one lives in New Zealand (the other side of the planet 😄) that makes it somewhat impracticable.
Is there not a Bachmann email address for such eventualities?

Bucksco

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/service_2010.php

You can email the service manager at harrisl@bachmanntrains.com
A phone call would get things straightened out quicker. We are a U.S. company so unfortunately you will need to deal with us on North American time...

jdlaw75

No such luck. It seems that no-one has parts for this Climax.

I will try my glue-repair on the gear - hopefully it may hold together for a while.

Ken Huck

You can always do what I did, buy an 'extra' 70-ton 3-truck and 'part it out'.

http://www.trainworldonline.com/manufacturers/bachmann/spectrum-ho-70-ton-3-truck-climax-steam-loco-painted-unlettered-black-wdcc-on-board-82901/

The trucks are interchangeable and so is the transmission.  Not to mention all them other wonderful detailed
parts.

HTH

Ken

jdlaw75

Thanks Ken

I asked about that on the On30 group on Yahoo, but had no response.

Good to know that they are the same. I will look out for one.

Speedbrake

Same thing happened to me. I ask the same questions, finally sent it in and they replaced it with the 70T 3-truck Climax. I wish they were able to fix the 50T or have the parts. Maybe they will update the 50T construction and bring it back to the market.