News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

decoder boards with plugins

Started by HDiedrichs, March 16, 2014, 02:21:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HDiedrichs

I've seen locos with a board built in with an 8 pin or the 9 pin plug on them then a separate decoder plugs into that. I cannot find these little boards anywhere. They appear to have some simple surge protection and some resistors for the lights already built in. Seems a good idea to have a board to mount the decoder to instead of wiring the decoder right to the train.

Does anyone know where to get these small boards?

richg

Google the different DCC companies. This way you can build your Favourites for different products and specs.
There are non sound and sound decoders that plug in with either pin or nine pin. Some, no connector.
Many variations.
SoundTraxx are used in many, not all, Bachmann products. SoundTraxx has non sound and sound decoders.
There are other brands. Google DCC decoder companies. If you are new to DCC, gather some knowledge of the product.
Good luck. DCC is enjoyable.

Rich

HDiedrichs

Yeah I'm looking for the little board the decoders plug into, not the decoders themselves. Been looking all over. Essentially the wiring goes into the little board then the decoder connects to the board.

Bucksco

The eight pin socket is located on the PC board of the locomotive. These boards are designed specifically for the locomotive thus they are not a "modular" piece. You could theoretically replace the existing PC board in your loco with one that includes the DCC socket. It might be easier to hardwire a decoder into your locomotive if it does not include the DCC socket.

HDiedrichs

Ok I thought the little boards provided extra benefits or were just something to plug into for the decoder. Yes I have hard wired decoders but was looking for a more professional way. Thanks for the info

richg

Quote from: HDiedrichs on March 17, 2014, 04:09:51 PM
Ok I thought the little boards provided extra benefits or were just something to plug into for the decoder. Yes I have hard wired decoders but was looking for a more professional way. Thanks for the info

Those PC boards are specific to the brand and the loco. Different locos, different boards.
Diesels, usually light board, some no eight pin, some a eight pin. Many buy a eight pin to 9 pin adapter.
Steamers, usually a rectangular PC board with connector.
The PC board will have diodes, capacitors, couple inductors, resistors.
Did not know what DCC experience you had.
I have made some PC boards using Vero board I purchased from the UK, via ebay. The diodes, capacitors and inductors are not needed. Usually a resistor or two for LED's. Sometimes, a resistor to dim the headlight in a steamer for reverse direction. Some do that.
I just use my imagination to come up with something suitable. A piece of Veru board is useful when hard wiring instead of solder splices in the wiring.

Rich