News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Some progress shots

Started by WoundedBear, October 03, 2007, 12:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoundedBear

Here's a few new shots from around the layout.

First up....my first attempt at trestle construction. I still need to work out the design of the center bents.....I crossed the lower track at too shallow of an angle.

Here's a start on the Lucas Mill. I pre-stained all the stock before cutting anything. I will be adding ground cover before fixing the foundation to the base. The log carriage track is at the front/left....the log ramp at rear/left....a small workshop is attached at rear right.

And lastly....a start on the yard office......this is a JL Innovative design kit....a nice simple build, and the real metal corrugated roofing is a nice touch. The water tanker in the scene is a Woodland Scenics Diamond T kit.

Enjoy!

Sid

Inder

Really nice work.
What scale is this?

WoundedBear

All HO scale......and thank you.

Sid

Beatle (TrainBrain)

Great job! Keep, em coming!

...if only I could scratch build like that :D.

Internet All-Beatles radio: http://beatlesarama.com
All you need is love and trains
Ringo Starr: 6/28/08
SC&NY Status: Drawing board, but getting closer!
-Chris

engineerkyle

sweet work, Sid. r both the trestles the same? ie progress pics?

Dusten Barefoot

Great work!! I love how you did the scenery and stuff, very realistic. I wish I could get a layout like that going. What era is this, it looks like the mid 1900s.
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

WoundedBear

Thanks again for the positive comments, guys.

Yes, Kyle....those are indeed progress shots....here's the final product. I know there are major engineering flaws, but it works, and I've learned a lot for the next one I build.

Dusten....I am shooting for around 1915-1930ish.....heavy on the ish....lol. I've also included a few more shops of the scenery and a shot of the Climax shop on the hill.

All of my scenery is plaster cloth covered with Poly-Filla....I cast all the rocks with Woodland Scenics rock moulds and Poly brand plaster of paris. I paint everything but the rocks with a cheapo tan latex from Home Depot, then stain the rocks and the tan latex with acrylics from Micheals. (I use yellow ocher, burnt umber and raw umber a lot). Everything then gets a final wash of 99 percent alky with a bit of india ink...(non waterproof)...mixed in.

I then brush on a fairly thick mix of watered down Elmer's white glue (only where you want foam to stick) and start sprinkling the foam on. I then soak the foam with 99 percent alky and dribble on the homemade scenic cement to lock it all down. Next day I come back and clean the track then give a final vacuum to pick up all the loose bits.

And I must say....after years and years of nothing but building automotive replicas, I am having a blast with all the learning regarding the different materials and media involved in model railroading.

Sid

Inder

I like it a lot.  The bridge is my favorite.  I'm gonna try to copy it in N scale.