News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The new GG-1 - minimum radius

Started by Mister Beasley, March 19, 2014, 12:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Beasley

Thank you for bringing an affordable HO-scale GG1 to the market!  It is fondly remembered from my childhood in O-gauge.

What is the minimum radius for these engines?  Since it's long, can it handle passenger cars at that radius?

Thanks.

Bucksco

The Loco will negotiate 18" radius but with passenger cars I wouldn't go any tighter than 22".

richg

I have recently seen some discussions about the GG1 in a couple other forums and they mention 22" especially when running the 72' cars with the GG1.

Rich

ACY

Quote from: Mister Beasley on March 19, 2014, 12:58:22 PM
What is the minimum radius for these engines?  Since it's long, can it handle passenger cars at that radius?
Alone it can negotiate 18" radius but doesn't look very good in my opinion. With Walthers and several other brands of longer passenger cars you need 24" radius (some require larger radius due to the undercarriage details), with shorter passenger cars you can run on 22" radius. What passenger cars do you have?

Irbricksceo

the GG1's that I have seen (though I have only owned an old rivarossi one a few years back) ran fine on 18 inch, as for passenger cars, most will need 22-24 to run. On 18, I use older Athearn Coaches as they had Talgo trucks (coupler on the truck, not the body) however the overhang and gap between cars will not please you if you are looking for something realistic. I do know that the gap can be alleviated somewhat on the streamlined cars (haven't tested the  12 axle heavy-weights) by using the short kadee #5 couplers which, while the coupler is actually slightly under the car body, works fine. Nonetheless, for passenger trains, if you can, go with 22 or up.
Modeling NYC in N

RAM

I said this before and I will say it again.  If you run long passenger cars with Talgo trucks,  make sure that all of the cars have them.  If you mix talgo and body mounted couplers you are asking for derailments. 

Mister Beasley

Quote from: ACY on March 19, 2014, 01:34:35 PM
Alone it can negotiate 18" radius but doesn't look very good in my opinion. With Walthers and several other brands of longer passenger cars you need 24" radius (some require larger radius due to the undercarriage details), with shorter passenger cars you can run on 22" radius. What passenger cars do you have?

I've got some Rivarosis with swing-mount couplers, and some ancient Tyco streamliners with Talgos.  Both handle 18-inch curves.  I don't run them in the same train.

I'm thinking of this engine for the future.  I'm close to retirement, which will also mean relocation for tax reasons, and hopefully a larger basement.  I'd like to have room for an electrified main line with big curves, but that's still years away.

electrical whiz kid

Beasley;
On overhead/catenary systems...Model Memories carries an excellent line of risers, etc; a pretty good PRR-based catalogue.  modelmemories.com
Rich C.   

CAB_IV

I'd recommend scratch building.  You'll save money, and be able to build your catenary to your needs.    Most of the skills you'd need to scratch build them are the same skills you'd need to build the Model Memories catenary. 

electrical whiz kid

Cab; kind of a daunting undertaking.  How would you go about building the risers, bridges, anchor bridges, etc?  I know this stuff isn't exactly cheap, but it is good stuff.  The only way I could see is if you used material like Central Valley lattice, but you would have to reinforce the riser with some substantial rod up the centre of the riser.  Like I said, a lot of work!
Rich C.