News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

first generation Alco Diesel

Started by atrain, March 08, 2014, 08:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

atrain

Im looking to add a dcc with sound first generation Alco diesel to my engine fleet.  I see Bachmann has several to choose from.  Do the sounds include starting and stopping the engine?  And do they provide the realistic 'warble' Alco engines were infamous for?

jward

the s2 and s4 do include the turbo whistle you refer to. the rs3 and fa2 do not. in all cases, the sounds are appropriate for that type of locomotive. as one who has been around many alco locomotives, I am impressed with the sound files used. they are dead on.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

trainmainbrian

Quote from: atrain on March 08, 2014, 08:33:33 AM
Im looking to add a dcc with sound first generation Alco diesel to my engine fleet.  I see Bachmann has several to choose from.  Do the sounds include starting and stopping the engine?  And do they provide the realistic 'warble' Alco engines were infamous for?

Also you might want to check out decoders from tsunami & digitrax.. As well before choosing a DCC loco from Bachmann..
If your not thinking of Model Railroading each day you must be having a bad day.....& do not leave your mind @ the station...

Jerrys HO

TMB,

QuoteAlso you might want to check out decoders from tsunami & digitrax.. As well before choosing a DCC loco from Bachmann..

Not cool on the Bachmann forum when they sell sound loco's ::) ;D.

atrain,

I am with Jeff on this one. Listen for yourself....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKZsTk9NUqA

a lot cheaper than TMB suggested if price is an issue.

Jerry

atrain

I appreciate the response and the youtube link.  However, one sound effect I mentioned earlier seems to be missing and this is the engine start-up.  Is this a feature included?

atrain

Im still wondering if the dcc sound Bachmann alco RS3 and FA have the start-up sequence.  The videos do not mention this so I'm guessing the answer is no.  Please confirm.

jward

Quote from: trainmainbrian on March 08, 2014, 10:58:14 AM
Quote from: atrain on March 08, 2014, 08:33:33 AM

Also you might want to check out decoders from tsunami & digitrax.. As well before choosing a DCC loco from Bachmann..

ummm......

the Bachmann decoders are soundtraxx, sort of a value tsunami.  and with the digitrax ones you are not going to get an accurate alco sound.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

AGSB

Have you tried going to the Soundtraxx web site and listening to the sound samples? Any that I have chosen to listen to have the start up.

Jerrys HO

Quote from: AGSB on March 16, 2014, 03:07:59 PM
Have you tried going to the Soundtraxx web site and listening to the sound samples? Any that I have chosen to listen to have the start up.

I believe atrain wants the ability to start and stop by using the function key's which as far as I know is not capable unless you have it on a siding that is controlled by a toggle switch. This is how I have mine set up.

Jerry

AGSB

From what I am reading he is specifically asking about start up sounds and shut down sounds, or that is the way I am interpreting the question.

Jerrys HO

Quote from: AGSB on March 16, 2014, 07:08:01 PM
From what I am reading he is specifically asking about start up sounds and shut down sounds, or that is the way I am interpreting the question.

That's pretty much what I was referring to.
On Bachmann sound value loco's the engine start's up when you power the layout as most other sound decoders you have to press the function key to start the engine and shut down without having to cut power to the whole loco.

Jerry

ebtbob

Good Evening All,

The FA,  RS3,  and S2 & S4 units do not have a start up sound if what you mean is when the sound comes on you get the sound of a prime mover kicking over to run mode.   The sound of these engines will come on in idle mode when put on the tracks or when track power is turned on.   As for other sound decoders,  it depends on the manufacturer,  but many come on as the Bachmann engines do,  but with the start sound that was previously asked about.   Others come on only once the engine address is put into the system.   I have 6 of the value sound engines from Bachmann and they are some of the best running,  pulling,  and great sounding engines that I own and I have sound engines from Atlas,  Bowser,  and Intermountain.   For the price,  you cannot beat the Bachmann equipment.   BTW......Mr B.  It would be nice to see other road names available such as Reading on the RS3s(olive green scheme) and the F7 units.  I also got a chance to see the new GG1 up close on Friday and you have another winner Bachmann.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Bucksco

If you would like start up and shut down sequences on the loco you should buy a "DCC READY" version and add a SoundTraxx Tsunami decoder. The Tsunami has more sound functions than the Bachmann Sound Value series and is easy to install. The Sound Value locos have a more limited sound set in order to keep their price point lower.