Okay, I'm going to ask this here about E-Z Track turnouts...

Started by KenHecker, March 21, 2014, 02:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KenHecker

I'm putting together a layout for my granddaughters (yeh, that's it!), and so far I see that I am not suppose to connect the turnouts "...TO DC TERMINALS, AS THIS WILL OVERLOAD YOUR ACCESSORY ITEM."  Well, before reading that far I did connect to the track voltage, and all I got was a humm.  So are these turnouts powered by AC, and where does that come from?  I am using a Bachmann E-Z Command Control Center controller, and there are no terminals for AC, as there seem to be on lesser Bachmann controllers.

After you stop laughing, I'd be very grateful for the answer.   ;D

ilikeconrail

Wait are you on a diff or dc layout and do u have ez  command and then do you have normal or dcc turnouts because you can hook up dc controller which has the ac and put the wire in to your turnouts and then hook you your ez command to the track but don't use black wire to connect the dc to dcc because if you have dc loco and your dc is hooked up to your dcc your dc loco works on dc controller and is so confusing but us you can do it

Joe Satnik

Dear Ken,

It's a question we hear quite often here on the board.   

Use a separate power pack with AC accessories terminals to power your turnout.

You might find an old Bachmann 6607 for a reasonable price at your local hobby shop or on an auction web site. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

KenHecker

Thanks gentlemen.  I guess it was something everyone else knew but me.  I did buy a very inexpensive Bachmann controller (in cute colors too), and used the AC from that.  The turnouts work, although they do seem a bit loud.  You would think that with their E-Z track thing going on, they would have a 16vac supply that wasn't part of a DC controller.