Williams 1996 GP7/9 Problem with FNR Board??

Started by jag8630, March 23, 2014, 03:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jag8630

I Seem to have shorted my FNR Board, the Engine will not respond, I removed the shell and applied power, the AC power will not work, when connected to the motors the DC works fine, is it possible that the rectifier has shorted out, or would it be a relay, I am fairly new to the Williams Diesels, the sound board works fine??  thanks Joe

phillyreading

Do you have lights? The True Blast sound board is a separate circuit board from the motor control board even though it plugs into the reversing circuit board for power and will work when the motor control board don't work.

The motors are DC can motors, so you will need to check them with a DC power source. DO not use direct track power to check your motors or you just killed them.  The circuit boards have no relays in them that I know of so it would be better to replace the circuit boards then to repair them unless you are an electronics person.

If the circuit board is bad you can check and see what kind of price you might be able to buy a new or used replacement for. If the prices are too high you can always take the circuit board out and install a 6 amp 50 volt bridge rectifier in place of the circuit board, however you will lose direction control.

Lee F.

Joe Satnik

To add to what Lee said,

if you want manual FNR control, install a 6A DPDT Center-Off switch wired to reverse the polarity of the Diode bridge.

center rail red wires: Diode bridge one ~

outside rails black wires: Diode bridge other ~

Switch 1 and 6: Diode bridge +

Switch 2 and 5: Diode bridge -

Switch 3:  Motor yellow wires

Switch 4:  Motor blue wires

1 2

3 4  Back of DPDT switch

5 6

Careful not to short wires between adjacent posts on back of switch

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jag8630

Lee, thanks for the reply, I do have lights and sound and the motor works  good hooked up to DC, thats why I think it must be the rectifier? I noticed the tan resister with red, black and gold striped did start to smoke indicating a short somewhere,
Yes I did notice one on your posts connecting the bridge rectifier and an altermate, but I would like to have the reverse work.
You are correct the sound blast plugs into the reverse board with 16 prongs, and I guess you know it has QSI sound and reverse boards GP7/9 1996yr.  I have a few other Williams Loco that are working fine, and this one was really great, they pull 30+ large cars and coaches.  My layout is 15"x 25' with hills and plains,  great fun.

And yea thanks,  Joe I do have a few DPDT switches so that is a possibility, I have a dozen Lionel Locos, and they are set up that way,  thanks that definitely is a possibility

phillyreading

jag8630,

Williams has not changed their motors in years just the circuit boards. Your engine sounds like it is from the Crown Edition era because of having the QSI unit in it.

The reason I mentioned the bridge rectifier because if you are like me, you have a limited budget for train repair.

Western Depot hobby shop has the circuit boards(never been used) from a few years ago and the board would cost less then a brand new one. That's if you want to go that route. You can use any Williams circuit board with the Williams DC can motors.
Make sure you don't try to use a circuit board with the older Lionel style motors with the very early Williams engines as they don't need it, they need an E unit.

Lee F.

Joe Satnik

Dallee has electronic e-units that will handle the old series wound field type AC motors.
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.