News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Questions about new Berks

Started by Swordsman422, October 04, 2007, 10:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swordsman422

I'm really excited about the new 2-8-4s coming out. They look great! I got a couple of questions I was not able to find answers to during a search.

1. I noticed in a photo of the PM1225 model shown at the NMRA show that the sand bunker is forward of the steam dome as it was on PM N-2 Berks and C&O Kanawhas. PM1225 is an N-1, and the sand bunker and steam dome should be in reverse order, similar to the NKP Berkshires. Is this a prototype-only error that will be fixed in production?

2. I'm fairly new at DCC, so forgive this one. I see that these models will be DCC equipped but no sound. Will the decoder be hard-wired or will it plug into an 8-pin connector so that I can replace it with a decoder that includes sound functions as well? Also, what dcc/sound decoder would be recommended for these locomotives. So far the Soundtraxx Tsunami system that Bachmann installs on its spectrum units seems pretty good, but are there any other suggestions?

Thanks for any info.

the Bach-man

Dear Sword,
The PM Berks will indeed be corrected. I brought home a couple of berks, and I'll take a look at them tomorrow.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Swordsman422

That is good news indeed! 1225 and 1218 were both N-1 berks, and reference photos for 1225 are readily available should you guys need them, although being a world-wide company, I doubt you have trouble getting reference material.

BTW, The white-wall wheels are a nice touch. Life-Like and Walthers did not think to include this detail on their berks! If I can easily convert to tsunami sound, I'll get one of every PM and C&O road number you can make!

SteamGene

Is it possible to buy the Bachmann Tsunami decoders separately?  If so, does that mean the "cutting the capacitors" ritual can be discarded?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Swordsman422

I have seen Soundtraxx tsunami decoders available and have heard they are really good. From youtube videos, the medium steam decoder sounds pretty close to what PM1225 sounds like. I think Bachmann uses these in their 4-6-2 and 4-8-2s. The medium is said to be appropriate for 4-6-2, 2-8-2, 4-6-4, and 2-10-0 as well as a few others.

Whistle recordings include the following:

Santa Fe Freight
B&O 3-Chime #74
PRR Banshee
Lehigh Valley
Nathan 5-Chime (Road Mix)
Nathan 5-Chime (Yard Mix)
USRA 6-Chime

While this place is sold out, here's a link with info and options on the Soundtraxx decoders http://www.loystoys.com/soundtraxx/tsunami.html

r.cprmier

Gene;
My personal opine...

Tsunami sound decoders are the best-and the easiest to work with.  They look a little intimidating, but then so wasn't the first bully I ever encountered.

I haven't dealt with Bachmann sound decoders, but am just going on what I have experienced.  I see you as a pretty bright person and shouldn't have any problem at all improvising your fit, unless it is an 0-4-0 dockside or something...

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

SteamGene

Rich,
I'm just looking for easy ways out.   ;D  So many locomotives to fit for sound, so little time. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

r.cprmier

So many locomotives to fit for sound, so little time

Gene;
My same thoughts on women...

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!