News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wagon top for mogul

Started by traingeek, March 27, 2014, 10:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

traingeek

Several times before I have urged Bachmann to get more use from all their engineering by offering new locos using different boilers on their existing mechanisms.  Recent posts have asked for a wagon top 2-6-0.  I have converted the Bachmann mogul by using an old Spartan Series On3 boiler.  It took a LOT of grinding of the weights, but Bachmann could offer the same simply by making smaller weights around the motor and popping on a new boiler.  Presto, a different offering with the minimum of engineering expense.  Similarly, the Forney could be made as an 0-4-4 by simply shortening the frame and tank.  If they ever get around to building the much requested SR&RL prairie, the running gear could be used to market a mogul, 0-6-2, or 0-6-0, all in both tender or saddletank.
   This would seem to offer the synergy of a much wider line at very minimal additional manufacturing cost. 
View my conversions of the Forney and Mogul at
http://www.tradewindsvt.com/gallery/main.php/main.php?g2_itemId=1858

the Bach-man

Dear Dave,
VERY nice!
Thanks!
the Bach-man

Royce Wilson

ebtnut

I agree - excellent modeling, both for the motive power and the scenery.  I would note the article in the latest NG&SL Gazette on the "Cold Water Brooks" moguls.  I haven't scaled the drawings yet, but it looks like you could do one of the them over the basic Bachmann mogul mechanism with smaller drivers and a wagon-top boiler.