News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Minimum Radius for DDA40X

Started by ilikeconrail, March 29, 2014, 07:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilikeconrail

Hi guys I'm looking into buying a dad40x and I would like to know if it would work on 22"  or at minimum 18" thanks guys reply soon good deals all over the place.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

Quote from: ilikeconrail on March 29, 2014, 07:00:50 PM
Hi guys I'm looking into buying a dad40x and I would like to know if it would work on 22"  or at minimum 18" thanks guys reply soon good deals all over the place.

As a general guide, ALL rtr plastic locomotives from Big Boys to DDA40X or whatever will run on 18" curves as that seems to be an industrial minimum radius standard to suit the non scale or "set track" modellers.  However, locos much bigger than Geeps or 2-8-0s will look silly running on 18" curves.

Cheers

Roger.

ilikeconrail

The the the and no CR did not use Dda40x there all up but I might get a cr 40-8bw Tue up used and dislike steam trains

jbrock27

I concur with most of what Roger said as one of those "sectional track", Code 100 guys.  I have 2 SD45s and 1 SD9.  All have run fine across 18" radius curves (I made sure I gauged all the wheelsets), but admittedly, the SD45s look a little out of place when doing so.  The SD9 not as much and I believe the reason has to do with length.  In "real" life the SD45 is 5 ft longer.  So the lessen to be taken from this is, the longer the loco or rolling stock, the greater the curved radius track that should be available for those items to run on, for appearance sake.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Brewman

The catalog states "works best on 22" radius or greater".