News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GG-1 Sound

Started by Dekon77, March 30, 2014, 11:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dekon77

I picked upmy GG-1 at my LHS. When I got it home I was surprised that there were no sounds as it sits there. There is no sound as it moves. There are compressor sounds that you use the funcions to turn on and off. I am very diappointed paying over $250 for an engine that said it has sound but all it really has is a bell and air horn. Is the unit defective? Also, is there a sheet that lists the sounds and their function keys?
Thanks,
David

bobwrgt

GG-1's are electric locomotives not diesel. The only sound you would hear is the traction motors making noise as it runs down the track. If you turn on the blower cooling motors you might hear them also. Horn and bell from electric locomotives and that is about it.

Dekon77

I know there is no noise while standing, but while moving there is no sound at all.

richg

Quote from: Dekon77 on March 30, 2014, 07:08:39 PM
I know there is no noise while standing, but while moving there is no sound at all.

That locos with sound goes for about $170.00. I just checked.
Your LHS should take care of the issue, not the Bachmann site.
Check the CV list for this decoder. Do a decoder reset.
Did the LHS try it out? It should have.

Google GG1 sounds.
Search You Tube for GG1. There are many videos of the prototypes.

Rich

richg

Couple sound projects.

http://www.digitrax.com/sound-depot/gg1-pennsylvania-electric-locomotive/

Quote from a search.

On the GG1's you would always hear the overhead catenary sing first. The GG1's from a stop would have a slight electrical wind up (almost like adding power to a big model train - no kidding). At speed they were almost completely silent. You would hear wheels on the rail joints first and a whoosh as they went by. Standing still you would hear compresses and some minor fan or blower noise.
Some people called then the deadliest loco around. They could sneak up on you at speed.

Rich