Green LED Interior lights Opinions Please

Started by RRAddict2, March 15, 2014, 01:24:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RRAddict2

I had a set of older MTH UP E-3's that came without interior lights. A traditional light bulb couldn't be used because the front motor is mounted too close to the front of the cab.  I improvised and took a single piece of LED strip lighting 3 lights per 2 inch piece and put it in the top of the cab. There was still one problem though with a white light the motor showed way too much so I tinted the LED strip with Tamyra clear green paint. I would like to get opinions on how this looks good or bad before I decide to do anymore that I have without interior lighting.

phillyreading

It looks good, and better then no lighting at all.

I just use a clear light bulb in my engines and give no consideration to the light color inside the cab area. You gave me an idea to think about, I might do that if I can find the time and resources.

Lee F.

RRAddict2

I didn't really care about the color but the original headlights were grain of wheat bulbs and no room for mounting a standard bulb. If you can a clear green would do for a standard socket. The type that are used in Lionel signal accessories. Thanks for the compliment and they did look strange with no cab lights. I guess MTH couldn't splurge the extra 50 cents it cost to light the cabs.

dtpowell

Can't say I'm fond of the green color. I have used Tamiya clear yellow on the interior lighting strips of my N scale Con-Cor Zephyr with good results. 2 coats toned down the blueness of the LED's nicely. Marklin uses yellow LED's for some of their interior lighting systems too.

silver69

At first I liked the green but the above comment about using yellow sounds better.
Use what you like but if it were me I'd probably switch to yellow.

RRAddict2

I thought of yellow but it was still to bright and clearly showed the motor head but I will try that for another one I have. I appreciate all the comments.

M1FredQ

I have yet to swap out my bulbs in my F-3's and ACL F-7.

I got a yellow bulb for the cab of the F-7 BUT the more I think about it a light blue hue color would

probably work much better.

When I am coming home sometimes after dark there is a NS and CN line that runs parallel to the road I travel on.
At night the intensity of the lights gives it a hint of blue hue color. With that said I will try that to.

The green looks cool too