News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

G gauge buildings

Started by fhenn, April 11, 2014, 08:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhenn

At this time I am looking to add buildings to my layout that is under construction. I have found Pico has a line, are there any kits available? Keep in mind this is an outdoor rail road in the deep south, so we have lots of sun..Thank You

tac

You might like to amend your search to PIKO, they have a reasonably good range of plastic building kits, including two different size water towers of Coloradan appearance that might be of interest.  One is moderately-sized, the other one, based, I bleeve, on the real thing at Chama, is pretty much a fine-scale model.

PIKO claim that the material of which they are made is pretty much sun-proof, but I'd still bring them in in high summer - UV and heat can be a plastic killer.  Same goes for rail tie material, too - we are hearing about how they go brittle and disintegrate after only a couple of years outdoors.

Also, you might care to look at Mr Brewer's fine sets of structure plans - suitable for your kind of project.  His square water tower is a thing of beauty, that's for sure.

Any copy of Garden Rail will have details of a whole raft of models, ready-made, kit or in plan only form.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

fhenn

Thank You, I guess I will have to sneak in a subscription to that magazine when the bride is not around ;D

NarrowMinded

I only set up a g scale layout for the holidays... but i have found a lot of inexpensive bird house kits and already built ones that scale out pretty good.

Just today i was at OSH and saw some new ones.

Chuck N

I'll second the last comment.  We have a lot of buildings that are suitable for our "G" gauge layouts that are bird houses and other buildings not built specifically for model railroads.

Here is a bird house with LGB people in front.

In the background is a hogan and a jail that we found at a reasonable price, <$50 each, at trading posts in Arizona.

Keep your eyes open, they are out there.

Chuck

fhenn

What a great idea the bird houses thank you