News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound Value S-2: Tinkering

Started by jonathan, April 14, 2014, 05:13:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

:) "Severe" is relative.  The more I model, the more I add weathering.  Getting more brazen with dirt and rust as time passes.

Thanks, Doneldon.  This may become an e-mag article, if I can get a few more details right.

Regards,

Jonathan

Doneldon

Jonathan-

Why go the e-zine route? Submit a proposal to one of the hard
copy publications and you can get some good cash.
                                                                              -- D

ALCO0001

Jonathan,
Nice Job,I appreciate your artistic talent.We found the same spot for the weight in the long hood I guess great minds think alike!There is another spot inside the bracket that hold up the circuit board just in front of the cab .I trimmed up a couple of sticky automotive wheel weights and put a few there .Working on forming some at the end of the long hood in each corner, Next to the headlight board.By the way,What was your time frame on doing all this work may I ask??

Jack

FFJOHNL312

DGLE? We don't need no stinkin' DGLE!

jonathan

Thanks, guys!

Let's see... over the course of 10 days I spent perhaps an hour a day, sometimes 1.5 hours. The air hoses just arrived today, so I have about an hour's work to get them mounted and weathered.

I should mention I totally blew the history on this loco.  #9129 was acquired from the C&O in 1963.  The B&O didn't own this S-2 in the '50s. Oops.  The bell and vertical grabs on the rear were C&O creations, but the B&O did keep the details.  The '50s B&O S-2s were numbered 9000-9114.  I would have been better off renumbering the locomotive.  However, I really like the new details. Will just have to fast forward to the '60s on my layout, every now and again.  :)  ...or just run this loco on the club layouts.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Thanks, Roger.

OK last shots--the air hoses are installed and weathered.  I put a touch of silver on the connectors and a little red on the handles.  After weathering, it's hard to tell there are other colors.

Regards,

Jonathan

electrical whiz kid

Hi Jonathan;
Great work.  I think Doneldon had a pretty valid point.  Money aside, it would add to your happiness level, I am sure, to have that model in one of the mags.
Your last shot reminds me of Atlantic Ave in Boston.  The Union Freight co. was moving a string of reefers (I think) along one middle of the street, traffic was stopped  dead for what seemed like a whole hour while they fiddled around.  The S-2 was either a New York Central or  Boston and Albany (Kinda dates me, eh?), and all I can remember was the rumbling clanking sound of that locomotive (we were right beside it) and learning "Greek" from a very frustrated "Pappou" (grandfather).  I like your weathering-it isn't overly done.  Some of my stuff looks like it was spotted under a very large and "regular" rookery...
Rich C.

graywolf

Jonathan I followed your link to this older thread and regarding the exposed decoder board are the black plastic clips merely mechanically holding the wires in contact with the board? I see where this might be a future problem that soldering the wires would help. Is this correct?  Thanks, Paul  Might this also be a problem area on all Sound Value engines?

jonathan

I have been tempted to solder those wires to the board, but haven't done it. I haven't had any issues with the S-2 for a long, long time.  I had planned to solder the clip-ons, only if continuity problems continued.  So far, so good....

Regards,

Jonathan

J3a-614

Hello, either I missed this thread the first time somehow, or I forgot about it, but I want to congratulate you on some nice work!

I'm particularly intrigued by the extra hand rails added at the cab end.  Unless the B&O copied the C&O, that may well be a former Chessie unit transferred to the B&O around the early 1960s. 

I'll have to check my C&O diesel book to be sure!!

Good work again!!

jonathan

Thanks J3a!

And yes. B&O acquired #9129 from the C&O in 1963. Found that out after all that work.  Ah well. I also have a 1965 Ford Galaxie 500 which sat in my last 1950's layout.  It was my first car and I wanted to park myself in the layout somehow, so... I fudged a bit.

Regards,

Jonathan

J3a-614

Talk about a rarity!!  Apparently three Alcos got Chessie paint!  Who would have imagined it?

This one looks like it might be former B&O:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trainplanepro/48157152871/?fbclid=IwAR2cZD9StlI2fOjEQX_x7a7sSNJKtaVD3e8FuoTxdXInYFHoltxWZJlKhl0

jward

Quote from: J3a-614 on July 01, 2019, 12:37:34 PM
Talk about a rarity!!  Apparently three Alcos got Chessie paint!  Who would have imagined it?

This one looks like it might be former B&O:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trainplanepro/48157152871/?fbclid=IwAR2cZD9StlI2fOjEQX_x7a7sSNJKtaVD3e8FuoTxdXInYFHoltxWZJlKhl0

All three were S2s assigned to Glenwood, PA and were fixtures in the Pittsburgh area. They were all original B&O units. One was apparently later repainted back to B&O blue.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA