News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Can I get away with it ?

Started by Don Gilham, April 16, 2014, 10:33:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Gilham

Can I get away with using a 47" radius curve ?  Locos I have are new (metal gears - how I wish they all were !) Annie, 2-8-0, 2-6-0 (large one) plus assorted stock, most to the larger 1:20.3 scale (ie large caboose and boxcars, flats, etc)

Chuck N

That is very tight.  What minimum does Bachmann recommend?  If the minimum is 4', they should go around, but they won't be happy campers.  There will be wear on the track, from the flange rubbing against the inside top of the outside rails.  Metals gears will last longer, but there will be a lot of stress on the gears and motors.  This will shorten the life of the engine when compared to using larger diameter curves.

I have a friend who runs an LGB Stainz all day every day when he is home.  He has to replace his curves (LGB R1) every year or two.  That is a much shorter wheel base loco than you are going to use.

If your layout is going to be indoors, be prepared for a lot of black dust under the track from the ground up rail and wheel metal and plastic.  With plastic wheels the flanges will ultimately wear away.

On 1:20.3 cars stock body mounted couplers will not work.  They will derail the cars on entering the curve.  You will need truck mounted couplers.  You might be able to modify them by cutting out the side or adding a pivot to permit more swing, I don't know if that would help or not.

Chuck

tac

47" radius is 7ft 10" diameter.  I can't see a problem with that, and I have a Bachmann Connie - the longest wheelbase loco you mention.  Runs fine on an 8ft diameter circle.

Obviously, the greater the radius, the better your models will look from the overhang POV, especially the 1:20.3 passenger cars - big in every respect.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

Chuck N

I blew it.  I misread radius for diameter.   I'm so used to diameter in "G" scale.  The engines will be fine, but I'm not too sure about body mounted couplers.

Thanks, Tac.

Chuck

charon

Chuck,
As far as body mounted couplers, my Bachmann Davenport with ore cars works fine on my 15" radius curves.
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

Chuck N

Chuck

I'm not surprised that your 2 axle ore cars will handle 15" radius track with body mounted couplers.

Don was asking spectrum 1:20.3 4 axle freight cars.  They are about 17.5 inches long.

Chuck

PS how long are your ore cars?

charon

Chuck N,
I sent you an email with pic.
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

Don Gilham

Thanks guys - I'll stick with my standard of 5ft minimum radius  :)