News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

1:20.3 Ten Wheeler

Started by CCSG, April 15, 2014, 11:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCSG

In the mid nineties I bought my first Bachmann large scale product, a big hauler starter set. "Fine Scale Railroader" was being published at that time and there was an article on kitbashing big haulers into RGS ten wheelers #s 20, 22, and 25. It basically involved enlarging the smoke box, smokestack, making the tender taller and shorter, changing domes, moving air tanks, changing the running boards, shortening the pony truck and adding details. The pics in the article were awesome! I started the project but unfortunately my model was stolen before it was finished. I'd like to suggest to Bachmann as this for a possible new product using their current drive from the 4-6-0. The RGS 20 is currently being restored to operationally condition at the Strasburg RR before being returned to the Colorado Railroad Museum. The RGS 10 wheelers were bought from the Florence and Cripple Creek RR and could be lettered for that RR as well. In addition, the Southern Pacific had very similar 10 wheelers on there narrow gauge branch with whale back tenders. 

With the return of RGS #20 to operating service, I feel this could be a popular model. If the drive train of the 4-6-0 would work for these models, it seems like it could be an economical way for Bachmann to release a new a model.

Patrick Kramer

the Bach-man

Dear CCSG,
Thanks!
I'll pass that along.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Ted Yarbrough

If they use the Bumble-Bee version (wood cab/old style domes) and repainted it like the current Rio Grande Southern version with road number 20 on it and small RGS on bottom of cab, it would be close! Give us more Annies in Rio Grande Southern AND RIO GRANDE (Flying Grande herald, please)

armorsmith

Another alternative for the B'mann might be to get together with a decal manufacturer and offer an unlettered loco with a choice of decal sets. A win-win for both parties.
Bob C.

tac

The days of optional decals are long ago and far away - I just paid $25 for a set of 1:20.3 cab numbers - exquisite, of course, but you have to remember that large-scale decals cost large-scale money.  I can't see ANY manufacturer doing what you want these days.

That's why Bachmann and others sell unlettered locos, that way you can color them in to whatever you want.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS