Ideas to improve the Bachmann crossing gate...

Started by wiley209, April 16, 2014, 11:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wiley209

I noticed that the Bachmann "operating dual crossing gates" first offered in 1976 are still being sold today. So far the only differences between the original:

...and the current version:

The new one uses nickel-silver track, has a more green base, and the gates and signals are painted in more prototypical colors, but that's about it.

Though it does look nice, I will admit it's a rather dated accessory now. But since technology has improved over the years, then I am thinking maybe the company should have a more updated version to compete with other companies' crossing signal and gate offerings (like MTH, NJ International and Walthers.)
Maybe they can replace the fake red lenses in the signals with red LEDs, have the gates motorized (or if not, make motorization optional but keep the old-style pressure sensor) and maybe include track sensors so an approaching train can trip the signals.
This would be better than Bachmann's attempt at such a product in the 1980s...

(It did have pressure sensors for activating the signals, but they only work with conventional track, and the lights simply blink on and off unconvincingly and the bell dings extremely fast.)

Maybe even make a dual-track adapter of sorts for those who want a two-track crossing, like Kato does for their N-scale crossing gate.

Sure, it would probably look out of place on a professional layout, but it'd be good for the beginner or novice, and would be rather easy to install, even with some wiring involved (maybe the controller for the lights could be built into the base!)
Since this accessory has been available for 38 years, I think such an update would be good for it.

electrical whiz kid

There have been several articles in recent months regarding  the "how-to' issue with this.  My thoughts are to replace the dummy lenses with red LEDs-the "water" type.  You can find them in several supply houses, like Mouser.  As far as the gates go, a mechanical linkage consisting of a tortoise machine and a length of phosphor bronze wire should do the trick nicely.  Sensors could range from using reed switches in a "start-stop" configuration using a triac.  to using proximity sensors.
Rich C.

Doneldon

I don't expect a new version of this. While the suggested improvements are all great ideas, they would be expensive ones which would price this accessory right out of the toy market where it fits so well now. These gates are way larger than scale and their base probably doesn't match anyone's scenery. Now please don't get me wrong; this is a fun accessory which adds some welcome lights and animation. But moving it way up in price -- the suggested changes would more than double the cost -- would move it out of the toy realm without making it suitable for a scale layout due to its size.

There are already good looking scale crossing gates for scale layouts. They have lights and can be run via track sensors which turn them on before a train arrives at a crossing and which keeps them on until shortly after a train has left, the way prototype crossing gates work. Such crossings are too pricey for a kid's layout which is why, I think, the Bachmann crossing has been so popular and has lasted so long in their product lineup.

What has been described would be a great accessory with excellent operational improvements, but prototypical modelers wouldn't buy it because it is so out of scale, and casual modelers wouldn't buy it because the price would have to be too high. Remember, Bachmann is a business which must turn a profit. The suggested changes would defeat that need.
                                                                                                                                                                      -- D

wiley209

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on April 18, 2014, 07:15:31 AM
There have been several articles in recent months regarding  the "how-to' issue with this.  My thoughts are to replace the dummy lenses with red LEDs-the "water" type.  You can find them in several supply houses, like Mouser.  As far as the gates go, a mechanical linkage consisting of a tortoise machine and a length of phosphor bronze wire should do the trick nicely.  Sensors could range from using reed switches in a "start-stop" configuration using a triac.  to using proximity sensors.
Rich C.

I'm thinking of doing that actually with my Tyco crossing gate, and then installing a second signal and gate on the other side (maybe a cantilever signal with a separate gate, like I see at many real-life railroad crossings in my area.)

Terry Toenges

I never thought about it but they do look way out of scale. I wonder how N scale ones would fit with HO.
Feel like a Mogul.

wiley209

Quote from: Terry Toenges on April 30, 2014, 12:36:30 PM
I never thought about it but they do look way out of scale. I wonder how N scale ones would fit with HO.

That was another thing I noticed about it.

Or how about Bachmann keeps that dual crossing gate as is, but also releases their own line of operating crossing signals that are of a more accurate scale and can be wired to a controller, sort of like NJ International's offerings. So anyone who wants a nice railroad crossing from Bachmann can get such signals!