The Beautiful Connie - Answer Please Bacchy

Started by Don Gilham, April 17, 2014, 12:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Gilham

This was the first loco I owned, and (thanks to Bachmann's superb price) began my interest in G scale.  So I bought another, and another, and modified the body on one - such a fabulous generic model.

However, all three have now succumbed to the usual gear problem (why did I think I could be a loco so cheaply without problems !!!) so my question is this.

(And this is aimed at Bacchy)

Is the Connie going to be re-introduced (I am always mesmerised by the superb motion), and if so are replacement chassis with metal gears (which is how it should have been manufactutred in the first place) going to be available ?

Chuck N

Barry Olsen of Berry's Big Trains, makes and sells a drive for the Connie.  I had him replace my drive assembly several years ago.  Everyone I know who has his conversion is very pleased with the results.  He is located in the Phoenix, AZ area.  You can send the engine to him for the conversion or he can send the parts to you for a DIY project.  I chose the former, actually I dropped it off at his house.  He says that the conversion has a life time warranty, his life.

You should be able to get contact information through a Google search on "Barry's Big Trains".  You might find some discussions about him being out of business.  Not true, he has just cut back.

A search through this site on Connie Problems might also yield his contact info.  I have an aversion to entering someone else's email and/or phone number in a public post.

Chuck

StanAmes

Don

You can get a new axle with a Brass gear from parts

G813X-AXELBG

Stan

CCSG

I bought a connie a couple years ago for a reasonable price. The first time I tested it the gear broke. I ordered a replacement from NWSL as Bachmann was out of stock at the time. The NWSL delrin gear's axle opening seemed too tight for the connie axle and I drilled it out to fit my axle. I ordered the Bachmann replacement as a back up when they came back in stock. The repair wasn't too hard but was glad to have instructions. Be fair warned though, lots of small screws and springs! 
Patrick Kramer

Don Gilham

Thanks guys, and totally underrstandable Chuck - I'd love to go to Barry, but there's a helluva lot of water between us  ;D

My question remains, aimed at Bacchy (who usually answers !)

Ted Yarbrough

I would like to see it, more of a D&RGW style (from the factory without us having to do the mods).

tac

Quote from: Ted Yarbrough on April 18, 2014, 08:24:48 AM
I would like to see it, more of a D&RGW style (from the factory without us having to do the mods).

Hmmm, pretty unlikely, given that the original was built in 1909 for Ferrocarril Mexicano and 2ft 6in gauge, instead of the D&RGW three-foot.  It might look big compared to 1/24th stuff, but compared with the mikes of the D&RGW et al it's pretty small cheese - AND that valve gear would have to go, too!

For a real North American loco - even of that era - it's Walschaert.

Mine is lettered for the WP&YRy, and is miles away from being correct, but I like it anyhow.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

Bucksco

New releases are announced at the NMRA convention every year in July. There are no plans to rerelease this loco at this time. BTW he only answers to "Bach Man" not Bacchy...

armorsmith

CCSG
Look here http://www.the-ashpit.com/mik/gear.html for a real good explanation of how to do the replacement of the gear.  The article written by 'Mik' (now passed) is designed around using the NWSL gear, but I used it to replace the drive axle part supplied by Bachmann.
I have not used the NWSL gear, but many fellow for a members report good results.
Bob C.

tac

I replaced the split gear with the improved replacement last year, since when the loco has worked faultlessly at three outdoor exhibitions with a reasonable consist of five suitable freight cars/three AML Jackson-Sharp passenger cars.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

Don Gilham

Quote from: Yardmaster on April 18, 2014, 09:19:33 AM
New releases are announced at the NMRA convention every year in July. There are no plans to rerelease this loco at this time. BTW he only answers to "Bach Man" not Bacchy...

He used to answer to Bacchy  :P  Is this some sort of automation thing, then ? :)

the Bach-man

Dear Donny
...not so far as I am aware...
the Bach-man

Don Gilham

the Bach-man

Don Gilham

Quote from: Yardmaster on April 18, 2014, 09:19:33 AM

By the way - a tad too "shirty" Yardmaster.  You can put people off like that - suggest you have a chat to Bacchy  :)