News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

coupler conversion

Started by stevep100, April 28, 2014, 07:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevep100

hey there
could you please tell me what coupler conversion would allow me to couple  up my spectrum GE EMD SD 45 diesel loco  to atlas rolling stock. I heard that micro trains might work but dont know the numbers

TIA Stevep100

brokemoto

I do not have B-mann's SD-45, so I do not know much about it (prototype too modern for me).  You mention that it is SPECTRUM.  I am assuming that it is an older issue that still had Rapido couplers, as some of the earlier issue SPECTRUM products did have the Rapidos.  Further, I am assuming that you have newer issue Atlas rolling stock, which has Accumate knuckle couplers.

You have some choices:

1.  Bachmann does sell dummy knuckle couplers that are compatible with other manufacturers' knuckle couplers.

2.  Red Caboose sells Unimate dummy knuckle couplers that are compatible with most knuckle couplers.  What I like about the Unimates is that they combine the reliability of the Rapidos with the better looks of a knuckle coupler.  You will have to work to get them to couple to some of the other manufacturers' couplers.  Kato is one that comes to mind on the last.  Unimates are available with different length shanks.  You use the long shank if you run on sharp curves (twelve inch radius or less), medium shank if you run on conventional curves (greater than twelve but less than fifteen) and short shank for anything fifteen inch radius or better.  The foregoing is merely a guideline.  I would purchase at least one package of each shank length, try them and use the one that at the same time functions and looks best.  While the short shank Unimates may cause many locomotives and/or cars to derail on a nine and three quarters curve, you will actually get away with them on some items.

3.  Go to the Microtrains website.  On it, point and click on 'CONVERSION CHART'.  Follow the prompts and you will find the coupler recommended for almost anything manufactured over many years.  It has been my experience with MT conversion kits that it is easy to follow the directions.  Do be sure to have the proper tools, including some that MT sells.  Without the proper tools, some MT kits can be difficult (but that is true of more than a few jobs).  If there is an assembled coupler available for your locomotive or other item, you will still need at least a magnifying lamp or Optivisor and a set of jeweller's  screwdrivers.

Each type of knuckle coupler has its advocates and detractors.   Some swear by one and at all the others.  I will use almost any, but do prefer working couplers over dummy.  Kato used to sell something that was a cross between a working and dummy coupler, but I do not know if they still sell it.

stevep100

Thanks for taking the time to explain your answer and for the benefit of anyone else the answer is I looked at micro trains website and discovered that the coupler I need is a body mounted 1015 001 02 000 available in black or brown and un-assembled luckily I have all the required equipment to do the job. I am in the UK England and have found a supplier so ordering in the morning thanks again for your help

regards Stevep100

brokemoto

There is an assembled version of 1015/1016 available.  All that you need is a jeweller's screwdriver and a magnifying lamp or Optivisor.  Use 1016 if you plan to operate on sharp curves, 1015 for conventional or broad.  There is a kit version of the 1015/1016, as well.

Many manufacturers are designing their locomotives to accept the 1015/1016 as a swap o ut/ drop in conversion.  There are some that require the 2004, but I suspect that soon all will be designed to accept one or the other.