Installing traction tires on steam locomotives

Started by RJP, April 17, 2014, 04:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RJP

I cannot figure out how to gain access to the driver wheels on my 2-8-0 steam locomotive in order to install new traction tires. Does someone have a suggestion or is there a diagram that will show me how to do it?
RJP

gatrhumpy

Remove the pin that holds the connecting rod to the wheel and then install the tire. You also might have to remove the entire axle.

RJP

Thanks... but can you go a bit further? How do I remove the pin and where is it? I've tried to pop the connecting rod out with a tiny screwdriver but I was afraid to force it.
RJP

Piyer

You could also use Bullfrog Snot - it's a liquidy stuff that you apply with a toothpick and it cures to a solid in less than an hour (give it 24 hours before returning it to the layout), so there is no need to disassemble your side rods.
~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

RJP

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. Hopefully, I can take it from here. Looking forward to seeing the "little engine that could" finally make it up the fairly steep grade.
RJP

bobwrgt

If you are good with working on small things I have had success with using clear silicon in the groove for traction tires.
On engines with a groove in the wheel I fill it with clear silicone with the engine running upside down in a cradle and smooth it out with a hobby knife. Let dry 24 hours and done.
Bachmann had the tires on backorder at the time.