News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

How do you run the wires to the turnouts?

Started by chieffan, May 04, 2014, 09:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chieffan

What is the most common method to turn the wires from you switch to the turnout?  I have my track laying on a 2 X 6 roadbed as most of it is elevated some to get the track somewhat close to level.  I am thinking of running the wires along the side of the roadbed where they will be covered with 3/8" rock.

They will be exposed to some moisture as rain water will run off and filter down through or later run across the top of the rock. 

I don't think the plastic coated will deteriorate under these conditions.  Anyone have a better idea?  The longest run to the switch is about 50'.

Along those same lines what gauge wire should I use?  I 20 or 22 gauge heavy enough to run the turnouts?

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

Rog
Chieffan

mickeykelley

Mine track is on raised gravel beds. Since I'm putting the control boards and transformer inside in a closet to keep them out of the elements, I ran multiconductor sprinkler wire in electrical PVC (which is 18 guage solid wire) to a central location junction box.  I then ran 2 conductor 20 ga stranded to each switch thru some left over gas pex (flexible plastic) for protection from the gravel.  It is under all the gravel but pops up at the switch. That way if I have to replace it for some reason, I can just re-pull it with very little disturbing of the road bed. My run of the sprinkler wire was about 70 ', then the switches are anywhere from 15 ' to 60 ' more. The wires were joined together in a water tight electrical box using 3M silicone filled connector you see the telephone types using.  In testing it all works fine, but it has only been a month or so.  No years of experience yet.  My method for what it's worth.

Stevelewis

I  had  a  Garden  line  for  over  30  years!

I  always   simple  laid  the  cables  from  the  switches  under  the  ballast. in  some  cases  just  buried  it  in  the soil ( I think  you call   soil  Dirt), or  even  under  grassed  areas  in  order  to  shorten  the  distance  from   swictch  to  control  point,  Thgis  method  worked  fine  for  years,

When  i  went  MASSOTH  digital  all the  wiring  was  disposed of  and  a  simply  added  decoders  to  the  switch  machines  and  took   a connection  from  the  nearby track,

When  I  pulled  up  the  old  wire  I  had  3  large  refuse  (garbage) bags  full to  dispose  of!!!
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

chieffan

Since I have all my road bed rock in place I think I will run the wires directly under the rock since this will allow for minimal intrusion of the rock road bed.  Should last for several years if I keep them out of the sun and plenty of drainage.  Thanks for you input and information.

Rog
Chieffan